Migration to Rapid-PVST

Hi

I have question regarding migration from classic PVST to Rapid-PVST. My Layer2 network diagram:

customers | | 2950G | ge | 3560G--ge--3750G---ge---7304 / | | ge | | / | | customers---3550 ge ge \\ | | ge | | \\ | | 2960G--ge--3560G---ge---7304 / \\ ge ge / \\ customers--2950G 2950G--customers All above switches are working in same VTP domain, so they have same VLANs database (currently about 60 VLANs). 3750G switch is root-bridge for all VLANs, core-switches (2960G,2x3560G,3750G) carring VLANs from access-switches (3550, 3x2950G) to edge routers (2x7304).

How procedure of migration to Rapid-PVST should looks ? Should I first upgrade core switches and next access-switches ? Is this migration bring some outages in network (eg. caused by spanning-tree recalcuations).

Thanks for help, Robert

Reply to
Robert Hass
Loading thread data ...

Ensure that everything you have supports rpvst otherwise it will just revert to pvst+

Ensure that you have portfast configured where you need it and keep in mind how rpvst calculates it's tree, ports with full duplex etc.

I would just roll out the spanning-tree rpvst command across the board during a scheduled maintenance window, to be sure.

As you enable it on switches they will probably continue to run pvst until all the switches stop seeing older version bpdu's.

Reply to
genki

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.