VPN client 4.0.4: connecting from static IP

Greetings, First of all, I want to say that I'm not a network pro and therefore need some help that I can easily understand.

I'm contracting with a company that has loaned me an IBM ThinkPad with the Cisco VPN client 4.0.4 installed. I've thus far been unsuccessful in connecting to their network.I'm connecting to the Internet via a static IP address, and then launching the VPN client, which attempts to connect. I eventually get the error: "warning 201: the necessary VPN sub-system is not available. You can not connect to the remote VPN server."

Their IT support, made an attempt to help, without much luck, since they don't support home offiice networks. I'm connecting to the Internet vis a DSL modem and an Asante FriendlyNet hub (that I use for my Macs and printer). I just disconnected the straight-through cable from my ethernet connection on my Mac and connected it to the ThinkPad, setup the Windows network (TCP/IP) with my static IP address, and as I said, launched the VPN client that is unable to connect.

Can I assume that the VPN client is looking for a DHCP connection, and that my static IP address has nothing to do with this problem? Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this? Thanks!

Reply to
bastokyg
Loading thread data ...

Greetings,

I may be way off target here, but I think the message - "warning 201: the necessary VPN sub-system is not available..." means that the Cisco VPN S/W does not have an ENABLED binding to your Stack. Did the install complete successfully? If it did, also check your Network interfaces to see if the Cisco VPN client iinterface is ENABLED. I have seen them show up as DISABLED at odd times but re-enabling it usually works.

I think your current problem is totally on your machine and no other device is involved (at this point).

Locally, the VPN Client uses whatever address your machine has, it does not go looking for one of its own.

Good luck.............pk.

Reply to
Peter

Reply to
Cody Rowland

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.