Static Nat and VPN Issue

Hello,

I setup an 1800 router at a client's site. I've configured a remote- access VPN for both remote administration and for hotel employees to do remote work. Our company also likes to forward port 3389 on the public IP to a the client's private Win2k3 server IP for remote administration in case we're having problems with the VPN.

However, when I add the static NAT translation for 3389, problems occur. When port forwarding is enforced, I can only connect to the Win2k3 server if the VPN is disconnected. If the remote-access VPN is enabled, I cannot access the Win2k3 server by the public IP or the private IP.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, KB

Reply to
KB
Loading thread data ...

Let me clarify a little more. I can connect to the Win2k3 server using the public IP address when the static NAT route is enabled and the VPN client is connected. I CANNOT connect to the Win2k3 server using the private IP address when the static NAT route is enabled and the VPN client is connected. This indicates the remote desktop session is not being encrypted. I don't like that.

I want to be able to connect to the Win2k3 server's private IP address when the VPN is active. I also want to be able to connect to the public IP and use port forwarding to connect to the Win2k3 server when the VPN is not active. Hope that helps.

KB

Reply to
KB

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.