VOIP CONFIGURATION

Hello,

I was working with Microsoft products previously and now I have changed my mind to switch to cisco networks. My company has decided to go with VOIP SOLUTION as our branches are connected with MPLS network. The project given to me is this way. I have to connect 2 sites which includes my head office and branch office to use voip (both the branches are already connected using MPLS network). My head office is having a PBX which will be integrated with voip and my branch office is not having any kind of PBX system.

Note: It will be a pilot project so please suggest a cheap hardware only for 2 sites if its approved then we will be buy good router in our head office to connect all other branches.

1) What kind of cisco routers shall I buy for both Sites ? 2) what kind of modules shall be intalled in CISCO router to start ? 3) What kind of IOS ? 4) Do I need to do something in my PBX ( Nortel Meridian)? for the integration in my head office ? 5) Which books do you prefer as a beginner ?

I hope the above mentioned scenario is completely transparent by any chance if you feel that i havent provided you the complete information dont hesitate to ask. Your earliest response will be appreciated.

Thanks Syed

Reply to
Syed Khairuddin
Loading thread data ...

Hi Syed,

More information is needed:-

How many users / handsets do you have / want at each site? Is your MPLS circuit configured for Voice i.e. does it have a EF class for the RTP traffic and a class for signaling? What Interfaces on the Meridian which can be used to connect to the router - E&M, FXS, E1 etc Or would it be much simpler to install Nortel IP phones in the branch office which use the Meridian for call processing?

Books wise, most of the Cisco Press voice books are excellent. Cisco Voice Gateways and Gatekeepers would probably be a good start as it should cover the kind of thing you are trying to do here.

James

Reply to
James

Hello James,

Thanks for your reply.

1) I have only 3 users in my branch office 2)I have normal telephone sets which we uses at home in my branch office 3)1 hand set at branch office 4)Yes my MPLS circuit is configured for voice.

Thanks syed

Reply to
Syed Khairuddin

In that case, if I was you and it is possible I would install Nortel IP Handset's in your branch office which use you existing Nortel PBX for call processing. This should be far more cost effective than using Cisco hardware and you should have all the same functionality on the branch office handsets that you get from the set conencted to the Nortel PBX (presuming that you are using Nortel digital sets).

James

Reply to
James

Therefore your issues are these:

- Switches at each site must recognise voice frames and honour their QoS markings. Usually if the phones & switches are the same Vendor, this will be easy. If they are different Vendors, the switch needs to be configured to "Trust" QoS markings put on by the phones. If the phones can't make QoS markings(unlikely!), the switch will need to use policy-based QoS markings (ie use an access list to match VoIP packets, then a policy for assigning QoS to them). Generally the voice traffic and data traffic will be on different VLANs - this means you might need to learn how your switches can be configured to trunk two VLANs between the phones and router. - Routers on each site must honour the QoS. - MPLS network must have Classes of Service which are based on your QoS markings and prioritises voice packets.

If you already have Nortel PABX, don't even think about going Cisco - Nortel gear is far cheaper even if you have to buy the whole system from scratch, and a Cisco Call Manager, etc... is very expensive.

Reply to
Arthur Brain

With only three users in the branch office I wouldn't bother with QOS on the LAN.

James

Reply to
James

I totally, 100%, agree (you would NOT believe the rubbish I have had to listen to on THAT score from a certain 3rd-rate Swedish purveyor of VoIP equipment...), but he should try to use Classes of Service through his WAN link provider, to minimise the possibility of his boss getting a bad impression of the reliability of VoIP from the outset.

Reply to
Arthur Brain

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.