Can we have multiple default-information originate commands?

Network is MPLS - totally meshed. OSPF as routing protocol. All area

0 for now, but can change if it helps my problem.

In my company, I have a default-information originate statement at our datacenter which gets all the smaller (MPLS-only) branches to the Internet through the main Corporate Internet firewall. At our larger branches, they have their own Internet and default 0.0.0.0 statement - so they rightly ignore my default-information statement in the OSPF table.

The datacenter is on the East coast. We have a secondary datacenter on the west coast with their own Internet.

For the first time, perhaps by chance, we are opening a "small" branch on the west coast. I do not want to buy them a separate Internet T1. By the default rules, their Internet traffic will go to the East coast datacenter, so just tack on 80ms to every connection. I don't want to do that.

Question: How can I insert a second, or massage the first, default-information originate statement so this west coast branch uses my west-coast datacenter's Internet connection? All are connected via my MPLS provider's cloud.

Robert

Reply to
Robert
Loading thread data ...

I don't see why you should not be able to have multiple default- information originate commands. Its effectively the same as having a BGP internet connection at both datacenters and redistributing a default route into each DC. If there is a third site that has a connection to each DC, it will select the best path via your IGP (in this case OSPF), or you can manually set the preference for each site. The only thing to be concerned with is the traffic coming back in. You want to avoid asynch routing, especially if you have firewalls or any other stateful appliances that will deny traffic that is out of state.

Reply to
Trendkill

This requires that you think carefully about what you want to occur with respect to default routing.

You should look at the metric associated with the current default route (defautl for deafult-info orig is a metric of 1 I believe. The MPLS network will probably be "invisible" to OSPF so you need to check a few remote site and see what the metric is on the current default route. For the west cost dat cneter you may then want to configure the default-originate with a higher-metric ( less preferred). This also means that should your east cost data center router fail, Internet traffic will flow via the wet cost data center which you might or might not want.

Do your homework ...

Reply to
Merv

Yes, I plan on having both for redudancy. The question is how to make any particular site prefer one over the other.

Reply to
Bob

They will via your IGP no matter what. Meaning if you have unequal links or paths, it will prefer the better one. Presuming you have equal cost paths to both, you will need to modify your metrics or do a route map. Several options for doing that.

Reply to
Trendkill

! Select east or west default route using route tags - for illustration purposes only !!!

! East coast data center router(s)

! do not use always parameter in case this data center's Internet link is down

! If using BGP with ISP then could request ISP to also advertise default to us

default-info orig metric 1 metric-type < > route-map SET_DEFAULT_ROUTE_TAG

! set route tag to allow each site to select east or west coast default route

route-map SET_DEFAULT_ROUTE_TAG permit 10 set tag 10

!++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++

! West coast data center router(s)

! do not use always parameter in case this data center's Internet link is down

default-info orig metric 1 metric-type route-map SET_DEFAULT_ROUTE_TAG

! set route tag to allow each site to select east or west coast default route

route-map SET_DEFAULT_ROUTE_TAG permit 10 set tag 20

+++++++++++

! site router - prefer East default route

route-map CHECK_DEFAULT_ROUTE_TAG permit 10 match tag 10 ! east coast set metric 5

route-map CHECK_DEFAULT_ROUTE_TAG permit 20 match tag 20 ! west coast set metric 10

router ospf distribute-list route-map CHECK_DEFAULT_ROUTE_TAG in exit

+++++++++++

! site router - prefer West default route

route-map CHECK_DEFAULT_ROUTE_TAG permit 10 match tag 10 ! east coast set metric 10

route-map CHECK_DEFAULT_ROUTE_TAG permit 20 match tag 20 ! west coast set metric 5

router ospf distribute-list route-map CHECK_DEFAULT_ROUTE_TAG in exit

+++++++++++

see Cisco doc "OSPF Inbound Filtering Using Route Maps with a Distribute List"

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Thanks Merv. I'll look into this.

Reply to
Bob

Taqs are perfect. That's what I wanted.

Thanks!

- Bob

Reply to
Bob

I think the ospf distribute list with route-map was introduced in

12.2, so check that you remote site(s) are at that level beforehand
Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.