voice port questions

I'm just starting to look at Cisco voice support, so forgive me if these are obvious. :)

How can I direct an incoming call on an FXO port to simultaneously ring one or more FXS ports and one or more VOIP destinations, connecting the first that answers? Dial-peers seem to be sequential. I can imagine going through an external forking SIP proxy that loops back to the router, but that seems messy.

Is it possible to enable features (e.g., call waiting) on FXS ports with IOS 12.4? The examples I've seen seem to make the FXS ports look like ephones using commands that apparently require 12.4T.

Is it possible to pick up a ringing FXO line by dialing an extension that points to that port? I can set up a dial-peer pointing to an FXO port and dialing its number connects me to dial tone on the FXO port if the line is idle. But if the line is ringing I get a busy. (If I time it just right to dial the extension as the call is coming in but before it actually starts to ring I can connect. Basically I'd like to tell IOS to not try to prevent glare in this case.)

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani
Loading thread data ...

Dan,

How your router configured? Do you use CallManager Express?

Basically, if you need to ring multiple phone numbers at once, you need to create Hunt Group (ephone-hunt). You will configure one "pilot number" and specify which list of DNs and in which order (sequential order or broadcast) should ring. And then you configure PLAR on FXO with this pilot number.

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE Voice (in progress), CCIE R&S (next)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

In article , snipped-for-privacy@mail.com (headsetadapter.com) writes: | Dan, | | How your router configured?

At the moment it has an NM-HDA-4FXS with 4FXO.

|Do you use CallManager Express?

No, if I can't do this with basic dial peers I thought I'd probably use an external program like Asterisk. CME seems a little limited in

12.4. In particular it doesn't seem to be possible to configure FXS ports as ePhones.

| Basically, if you need to ring multiple phone numbers at once, you need to | create Hunt Group (ephone-hunt). You will configure one "pilot number" and | specify which list of DNs and in which order (sequential order or broadcast) | should ring. And then you configure PLAR on FXO with this pilot number.

Will that work ok with plar opx? (I don't want the FXO port to pick up unless and until somebody answers.) Which version of CME supports broadcast hunt groups? From what I could tell this was a feature of "full" CCM only. Even the CME in 12.4T doesn't seem to have it.

Any thoughts on enabling features on FXS ports or picking up ringing FXO ports?

| > How can I direct an incoming call on an FXO port to simultaneously ring | > one or more FXS ports and one or more VOIP destinations, connecting the | > first that answers? Dial-peers seem to be sequential. I can imagine | > going through an external forking SIP proxy that loops back to the | > router, but that seems messy. | >

| > Is it possible to enable features (e.g., call waiting) on FXS ports with | > IOS 12.4? The examples I've seen seem to make the FXS ports look like | > ephones using commands that apparently require 12.4T. | >

| > Is it possible to pick up a ringing FXO line by dialing an extension | > that points to that port? I can set up a dial-peer pointing to an | > FXO port and dialing its number connects me to dial tone on the FXO | > port if the line is idle. But if the line is ringing I get a busy. | > (If I time it just right to dial the extension as the call is coming | > in but before it actually starts to ring I can connect. Basically I'd | > like to tell IOS to not try to prevent glare in this case.)

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

You can configure FXS ports to register to CME as SCCP endpoints beginning in 12.4(2)T.

formatting link

Then try configuring shared-lines for ephones representing the fxs

hth, ant

Reply to
anthony.yeung

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes: | You can configure FXS ports to register to CME as SCCP endpoints | beginning in 12.4(2)T.

Yes, unfortunately, 12.4T is not available on the 3640. I'm looking at moving the voice ports to a 3660. Amusingly it looks like some of the interesting voice commands need 12.4(20)T and the 3660 seems to stop just short of that. I'm a little surprised--given that the 3600 series was "multi-service" and all--that it has taken so long for the IOS voice support to catch up that the platform became obsolete before you could do reasonably basic operations like ringing multiple extensions. :(

|

formatting link
| html#wp1010395 | | Then try configuring shared-lines for ephones representing the fxs

Yes, that would work, and I think making the FXS ports look like ephones would also allow features to be enabled. But I can't make them SCCP devices in 12.4 and I can't figure out if there is some other protocol with similar functionality.

The ultimate solution is probably to use Asterisk. My worry then is that IOS might get confused whan a forking SIP proxy sends a call that it originated back its way. It *shouldn't* but that's just the kind of thing that seems to break. I noticed that if you enable call hairpinning in 12.4 it generates all sorts of memory alignment errors as each call comes through.

| hth, | ant | | On Oct 26, 11:17=A0pm, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote: | > In article , for-s...@mail.= | com (headsetadapter.com) writes: | > | Dan, | > | | > | How your router configured? | >

| > At the moment it has an NM-HDA-4FXS with 4FXO. | >

| > |Do you use CallManager Express? | >

| > No, if I can't do this with basic dial peers I thought I'd probably | > use an external program like Asterisk. =A0CME seems a little limited in | > 12.4. =A0In particular it doesn't seem to be possible to configure FXS | > ports as ePhones. | >

| > | Basically, if you need to ring multiple phone numbers at once, you need= | to | > | create Hunt Group (ephone-hunt). You will configure one "pilot number" = | and | > | specify which list of DNs and in which order (sequential order or broad= | cast) | > | should ring. And then you configure PLAR on FXO with this pilot number. | >

| > Will that work ok with plar opx? =A0(I don't want the FXO port to pick up | > unless and until somebody answers.) Which version of CME supports broadca= | st | > hunt groups? =A0From what I could tell this was a feature of "full" CCM | > only. =A0Even the CME in 12.4T doesn't seem to have it. | >

| > Any thoughts on enabling features on FXS ports or picking up ringing FXO | > ports? | >

| > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Dan Lanci= | ani | > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ddl@danla= | n.*com | >

| > | > How can I direct an incoming call on an FXO port to simultaneously ri= | ng | > | > one or more FXS ports and one or more VOIP destinations, connecting t= | he | > | > first that answers? =A0Dial-peers seem to be sequential. =A0I can ima= | gine | > | > going through an external forking SIP proxy that loops back to the | > | > router, but that seems messy. | > | >

| > | > Is it possible to enable features (e.g., call waiting) on FXS ports w= | ith | > | > IOS 12.4? =A0The examples I've seen seem to make the FXS ports look l= | ike | > | > ephones using commands that apparently require 12.4T. | > | >

| > | > Is it possible to pick up a ringing FXO line by dialing an extension | > | > that points to that port? =A0I can set up a dial-peer pointing to an | > | > FXO port and dialing its number connects me to dial tone on the FXO | > | > port if the line is idle. =A0But if the line is ringing I get a busy. | > | > (If I time it just right to dial the extension as the call is coming | > | > in but before it actually starts to ring I can connect. =A0Basically = | I'd | > | > like to tell IOS to not try to prevent glare in this case.)

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.