VoIP Between two offices

I am trying to figure out what the best way will be to transfer a call from one office to another. Here is the scenario, I have just been contracted by a company to provide tech support for them. Their office and mine if connteced via a broadband VPN connection and we both have two different phone systems (Lucent Partner and Nortstar/nortel). The take the phone calls in their office but they want to be able to transfer the call to my office so I do remote support. Any Ideas without spending a fortune?

Thanks Mike

Reply to
TechGladiator
Loading thread data ...

You can plug a Cisco ATA-186, available cheaply on eBay, into these phone systems as if it were a normal phone line. Then set up special rules to deal with that line on either end.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

I used a pair of Sipura SPA-3000s. They have one FXS and on FXO interface. You can use the FXO to connect the unit to the Partner system as an extension phone. You should be able to do the same thing on the Nortel unit (may require a special interface to handle a POTS device).

The Sipura lets you configure connections using direct IP dialing, so you don't need a SIP server to make this work.

Overall, these are great units for about $90 each.

Good luck, Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

That would not work well with the Avaya Partner system. A regular ATA device, with only FXS ports, would need to be connected to a CO line port on the partner. There's no good way on a partner system to transfer an incoming call to a CO line.

The nice thing about the Sipura SPA-3000 is that it has an FXO port, so you can make it look like an extension to the partner system and transfer calls to it. Multitech also has VOIP gateways with FXO ports, but these typically sell for $400 vs. $90 for the Sipura.

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

I think thats exactly what I was looking for. I will have to give them a try.. and I will rather spend $180 for trying than $800.. Thanks again.

Miguel

Reply to
TechGladiator

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.