answering machine on partner plus system doesn't ring

I am adding external standard answering machine to a partner plus phone system. The answering machine has dial tone and can manually answer and call out. The problem is that it does not receive any incoming calls does not ring and does not pick up/answer when the line is called.

I have checked the assigns in the manual and then double checked but it still doesn't answer/ring ?

Anyone have ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
media_360
Loading thread data ...

The answering machine evidently has an extension number. Call that. Once you get it to answer, it must do this first, use Central Telephone Programming to insure the lines are assigned to that extension and are set for Immediate or Delayed ring.

TerryS

Reply to
Terry

Have you plugged in a 2600 phone to make sure you're getting ring voltage?

And I forget the REN value on a Partner port, but it's not very high. If, on this extension, you have several 2600 phones and the answering machine you may be exceeding the REN value.

Take care, Rich

God bless the USA

Reply to
Rich Piehl

What is the REN of a 2600 versus a 2500 ?

TerryS

Reply to
Terry

2500...2600...whatever it takes.

Oops. Whatever the standard analog phone is.

Take care, Rich

God bless the USA

Reply to
Rich Piehl

Connect a plain old telephone to the line and see if it rings. Juat as important, how it rings..is it a traditional 2 seconds of ring and 4 seconds of silence, or is it a double ring?

The TAD may have problems detecting a double ring.

Reply to
DTC

The standard phone does not ring. It can dial out and pick up calls manually. The ren values are 0.0 on the phones so i don't think it's the ren. The system is set to immediate ring not delayed or distictive ring.

I can't find any other settings to check ??

Reply to
media_360

Also,

If I uplug the system the phone or answering machine will ring because it's plugged into slot 10. Which is what it's supposed to do but it will not ring when the system is on ?? Strange ?

Reply to
media_360

Disconnect the answering machine and place a voltage meter across tip and ring on that port and call it so it would be sending ring voltage if it is working properly. You should see 90 volts. on the ring, and then it should drop down. If you see no change during the ring cycle you have a bad ring generator on that card.

Take care, Rich

God bless the USA

Reply to
Rich Piehl

It has been a number of years since I configured a Partner system but I believe there's a setting you can make to the station that tells it to use normal ring cadence.

Reply to
T

maybe port is in do not disturb or being forwarded? am not avaya expert but just a thought.

rod

Reply to
Rod

Ok, so you know a POTS phone doesn't ring on the port 10. Can you plug the PTOS phone into another extension and dial that extension as an intercom call? Since you're not dealing with C.O. ringing assignments at this point, it should ring by default. If not, the ring voltage generator is dead.

If it does ring, look at your programming.

--- Single Answering Machine The single answering machine setup serves the entire system. The answering machine is connected to its own extension, and can cover all the lines in the system, or as many lines as you assign to it. You can install the answering machine on an extension by itself, or combine it with a system phone or a standard phone on the same extension (see ?Combination Extensions? in the PARTNER Plus Communications System Installation guide).

To Use

- Go to the machines to manually play back messages.

- From any system extension, make an intercom call to an answering machine extension. When the machine answers, dial its message retrieval code.

- From outside the system, call in on any line assigned to the machine. When the machine answers, dial its message retrieval code. Note, however, when calling in from outside, you can retrieve messages only from the first machine that answers.

To Program

1. Use Line Assignment (#301) to assign all the lines to extension x that you want the answering machine to cover.
  2. Set Line Ringing for all lines assigned to extension X to Immediate Ring.
  3. Make sure extension X is not assigned as a Call Waiting (#316) extension, Pickup Group Extension (#501), Calling Group Extension (#502), Night Service Group Extension (#504), or Hunt Group Extension (#505).

--- Personal Answering Machine A personal answering machine is used to answer all the calls that ring at a certain extension It is useful for the following situations:

- When you do not want to dedicate an extension to an answering machine

- When the extension receives a lot of intercom calls

- When outside calls come through a receptionist and are transferred to the extension When an extension has a private line

To Use

- Go to the machine to manually retrieve messages.

- From any system extension, make an intercom call to the extension.

- When the machine answers, dial the message retrieval code.

- From outside the system, call in and have someone transfer you to the extension. When the machine answers, dial the message retrieval code.

To Program

1. Set Line Ringing for all lines assigned to extension X to the desired ring (Immediate, Delayed, or No Ring).
  2. If the lines assigned to extension X are also assigned to other extensions, adjust the answering machine to answer on the third or fourth ring so that it does not answer calls before someone else can. (If the answering machine is to cover transferred calls, make sure the number of rings is less than the amount of transfer return rings set for the extension. This assures that the answering machine will pick up transferred calls before they return to the transfer return extension.)

If you intercept a call from the answering machine, you will hear a click to notify you that the answering machine has turned off.

Reply to
DTC

You've trouble shot your own problem - the ring generator in the card your are connected to is dead. System phones don't rely on the 90VAC to ring, but single line phones do. So, pick an extension port on another card, see if a 2500 set will ring, and if so, use that one for your answering machine. If you don't have any other cards available, it's time to replace the system.

Reply to
TouchToneTommy

I've got a new card coming this week and will verify that it was the voltage when I get the card. Should be a few days.

Reply to
media_360

The Answer was a faulty card. I changed the 206 module and the phone/ answering machine immediately started ringing and working. The voltage was not being generated by the old card. I would like to thank everyone for their time and answers on this thread.

Thanks All

Reply to
media_360

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.