VIC-4FXS/DID vs. VIC2-2FXS

Is there any reason to prefer the VIC2-2FXS to the VIC-4FXS/DID? The latter seems to cost less in an absolute sense not to mention per port.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani
Loading thread data ...

Depends on what platform you are installing the cards in. 2800 series platforms (and I think the 3800) only support the VIC2 card and some platforms only support the VIC cards (1700), so you need to check to make sure the hardware you are installing the card in supports whatever version you are buying.

Reply to
Thrill5

Just note that the slots on the 2801 are not all the same.

2 x HWIC and 1 x something-else and 1 x something-else-again.

formatting link
Has some details.

"The Cisco 2801 offers four interface card slots, where two of the four slots are HWIC slots; one slot is a WIC, voice WIC (VWIC), and voice interface card (VIC)-only slot; and the final slot is a voice-only VWIC/VIC slot."

Reply to
bod43

In article , snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.com (Thrill5) writes: | Depends on what platform you are installing the cards in. 2800 series | platforms (and I think the 3800) only support the VIC2 card and some | platforms only support the VIC cards (1700), so you need to check to make | sure the hardware you are installing the card in supports whatever version | you are buying.

I should have mentioned that the card will be used in an NM-HD-xV module and both VIC-4FXS/DID and VIC2-2FXS are supported by the hardware and IOS versions in question. Given that, is there anything about the VICs themselves that makes one preferable, e.g., ringing voltage/frequency? (For example, an NM-HDA-4FXS won't ring real 2500 sets which is annoying.) Note that for platform compatibility purposes the VIC-4FXS/DID is much more like a VIC2 than a VIC...

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.