username and password

I have a 1750 router and a 3750 catalyst switch. I'm wondering how i enable username and password prompting for telnet and console level access. Thanks

Reply to
mmark751969
Loading thread data ...

aaa new-model

but you definately want to setup your AAA lists at the same time! Its important to have those defined before you exist out, or you may lock yourself out altogether.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

First you'll need to create usernames and passwords using the username command (e.g. username routeradmin privilege 15 password routerAdminPass08). The privilige command gives the username administrative privileges (priv 1 is user and priv 15 is admin and privs 2 through 14 are customizable).

Second you instruct the console and telnet virtual terminals to use local for authentication using the login command.

Example

line con 0 login local line vty 0 4 login local

This configuration tells the router and switch to use the local account database for usernames and passwords. The better idea would be to implement RADIUS or TACACS+ but that's a bit more complex and requires a RADIUS or TACACS+ server.

Reply to
jason.herrick

better to use

username secret

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.