monitor vlan

If i wanted to monitor a small vlan on the network. What tools could i use to give me port traffic information from that vlan. Thanks

Reply to
mmark751969
Loading thread data ...

What model and software revision are you using? Are you looking for aggregate stats or packet-by-packet monitoring?

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cisco catalyst 3750. More like each of them possibly. thanks

Reply to
mmark751969

Port utilization - Bandwidth monitoring tool based on SNMP (ie SolarWinds) VLAN Monitoring - Port/VLAN Span with Sniffer Source/Destination Traffic - Turn up netflow on router or switched virtual interface of that vlan, and log to a netflow collection server (fluke, solarwinds, cisco)

There are free options for most of the above, you'll just have to surf and find them or find trials if you don't have necessary capital.

Reply to
Trendkill

Some possibilities:

root@charles-laptop:~# apt-cache search netflow flow-tools - collects and processes NetFlow data flow-tools-dev - development files for flow-tools fprobe - export captured traffic to remote NetFlow Collector fprobe-ng - export captured traffic to remote NetFlow Collector (meta) fprobe-ulog - export captured traffic to remote NetFlow Collector (ULOG version) libcflow-perl - perl module for analyzing raw IP flow files written by cflowd nfdump - netflow capture daemon pmacct - promiscuous mode traffic accountant root@charles-laptop:~#

This is on Ubuntu 8.04.

Might be of use to you.

Reply to
Charles N Wyble

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.