unregistered TCP/UDP ports

I see traffic on my network to a number of unregistered TCP/UDP ports. Where can I find a list with possible protocols that are using these ports (1535,

4889 and 8092)?
Reply to
erik
Loading thread data ...

"erik" wrote in news:48bf8f12$0$2864$ snipped-for-privacy@news.skynet.be:

Try

formatting link
?hl=en&q=udp+tcp+port+4889&meta=
formatting link
Regards, Lars Christensen

Reply to
Lars Christensen

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) is responsible for official assignment of a TCP or UDP port to a known application. That does not mean that any software designer could create a program to use any unregistered TCP or UDP port that they want.

There is a Wikipedia listing for common used TCP and UDP service ports:

formatting link
I did not easily find information about the three port numbers which you listed. That leads me to believe that they are not commonly associated with any particular application or program. Also keep in mind that only the destination TCP or UDP port number is the relevant portion, not the source port number.

----- Scott Perry Indianapolis, IN

-----

Reply to
Scott Perry

erik schrieb:

Strictly speaking, every protocol is possible on every port. In order to find out for sure what it is you'll have to look on the destination machine what service is listening on the port. The picture is further complicated by protocols that allocate ports dynamically.

Of course there are typical services for many ports. I have in the past had good results looking up port numbers on the SANS Internet Storm Center's "PortDetails" page at

formatting link
The ports you list, however, didn't turn up anything interesting there.

HTH T.

Reply to
Tilman Schmidt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.