Unable to configure VLAN on Cisco 2516

I have a lab at home and am trying to configure a "router on a stick" but it seems that either I am not doing correctly or this router does not support VLANs. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

MyCisco2500Router#sh run Building configuration...

Current configuration : 1299 bytes ! version 12.1 no service single-slot-reload-enable service timestamps debug uptime service timestamps log uptime no service password-encryption ! hostname MyCisco2500Router ! ! ! ! ! ! ip subnet-zero ! ! ! ! hub ether 0 1 link-test auto-polarity ! hub ether 0 2 link-test auto-polarity ! hub ether 0 3 link-test auto-polarity ! hub ether 0 4 link-test auto-polarity ! hub ether 0 5 link-test auto-polarity ! hub ether 0 6 link-test auto-polarity ! hub ether 0 7 link-test auto-polarity ! hub ether 0 8 link-test auto-polarity ! hub ether 0 9 link-test auto-polarity ! hub ether 0 10 link-test auto-polarity ! hub ether 0 11 link-test auto-polarity ! hub ether 0 12 link-test auto-polarity ! hub ether 0 13 link-test auto-polarity ! hub ether 0 14 link-test auto-polarity ! interface Ethernet0 no ip address ! interface Ethernet0.2 ! interface Serial0 ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.252 ! interface Serial1 no ip address shutdown ! interface BRI0 no ip address shutdown

MyCisco2500Router#config t Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z. MyCisco2500Router(config)#interface Ethernet0.2 MyCisco2500Router(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q 2 ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

MyCisco2500Router(config-subif)#? Interface configuration commands: arp Set arp type (arpa, probe, snap) or timeout backup Modify backup parameters bandwidth Set bandwidth informational parameter bridge-group Transparent bridging interface parameters cdp CDP interface subcommands default Set a command to its defaults delay Specify interface throughput delay description Interface specific description exit Exit from interface configuration mode ip Interface Internet Protocol config commands llc2 LLC2 Interface Subcommands mtu Set the interface Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) netbios Use a defined NETBIOS access list or enable name-caching no Negate a command or set its defaults ntp Configure NTP rate-limit Rate Limit shutdown Shutdown the selected interface snapshot Configure snapshot support on the interface standby HSRP interface configuration commands timeout Define timeout values for this interface traffic-shape Enable Traffic Shaping on an Interface or Sub-Interface

MyCisco2500Router(config-subif)#exit MyCisco2500Router(config)#exit MyCisco2500Router#sh

05:03:33: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console % Type "show ?" for a list of subcommands MyCisco2500Router#sh ver Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-I-L), Version 12.1(17), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Wed 04-Sep-02 04:58 by kellythw Image text-base: 0x03041F4C, data-base: 0x00001000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE BOOTLDR: 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-BOOT-R), Version 11.0(10c), RELEASE SOFTWA RE (fc1)

MyCisco2500Router uptime is 5 hours, 3 minutes System returned to ROM by power-on System image file is "flash:c2500-i-l.121-17.bin"

cisco 2516 (68030) processor (revision J) with 14336K/2048K bytes of memory. Processor board ID 08315743, with hardware revision 00000001 Bridging software. X.25 software, Version 3.0.0. Basic Rate ISDN software, Version 1.1.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 14 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 repeater port(s) 2 Serial network interface(s) 1 ISDN Basic Rate interface(s) 32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

Configuration register is 0x2102

MyCisco2500Router#

Reply to
aenagy
Loading thread data ...

You're not trying to create a VLAN. You're trying to put a trunk encapsulation on a layer 3 sub-interface. It's not a switch port.

Chris.

Reply to
chris

This router has 14 hub ports and I don't see a separate switch port. Does this mean that I am SNAFU'ed?

chris wrote:

Reply to
aenagy

From what I remember of these ancient things, there's only a couple releases of IOS that supported VLAN trunking on the 25xx series, and even then you needed to get something like the plus image for the T train (12.2T? 12.3T?) which requires maxing out your DRAM and Flash. Also, they only supported ISL trunking, 802.1q came out long after these were EOL'd.

I'd check some of the FN stuff, but it seems to be broken for the 2500 series anyway. Nobody probably notices :/

Here you have the max DRAM, but you only have 8M of Flash, you'd need to get more Flash to even attempt this, and means to get the proper image, if they are even available on Cisco's site anymore.

Probably easier to pick up the next line of discontinued routers (2600) to do testing, and you could do .1q or ISL as you needed.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Reply to
thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.