Unable to access VLAN IP for management

I have setup a 2950 switch with its management interface on VLAN2. When I connect to the switch via the console the VLAN 2 status shows UP but line protocol is down. Obviously I can't see the switch from the network and I would like to tftp the new IOS package (as well as figure out what's wrong). I am probably missing something simple here but I have checked everything that I can think of. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

Hi Dave,

Vlan 1 is up/up because all the switchports are assigned to vlan1 by default. The reason being that your vlan2 shows as up/down due to the fact that you don't have any active layer 2 switchports assigned to vlan 2.

In order to bring up vlan 2 as up/up, you need to assign at least one layer 2 port to vlan 2.

example: conf t int fa0/x (where x = switchport u gonna use) sw mode access sw access vlan 2 no shut

to verify the interface: sh int fa0/x sw sh ip int br

P.S Also, 2950 is a pure layer 2 switch, which mean you can only have one virtual vlan interface per time.

Hope my explanation answer to your concern,

Cheers, CC

Reply to
cchoy

See, I knew I was forgetting something simple here. Thanks for info.

Reply to
Dave

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.