Cisco Catalyst 4006 as VMPS server.

Hi all,

all documents seen about the subject say that environments developed were done using Cisco 5000 or higher as VMPS server. I tried Open VMPS for testing but I would like to put the "MAC addresses - VLAN" database inside a Cisco device. Does any body of you know whether also the 4006 can act as server maybe running a specific version of CatOS or higher?

TIA

Alex.

Reply to
AM
Loading thread data ...

using Cisco 5000 or

the "MAC addresses -

running a specific version

formatting link
"You cannot configure a Catalyst 4000 family switch as a VMPS server." I don't know if this applies ot 4500 or not.

Reply to
anybody43

done using Cisco 5000 or

the "MAC addresses -

Which is odd, because you can make a cat2948G into a VMPS server, which is a fixed config "4000" series device. IIRC, some of the other fixed config "4000" series devices could also do it.

But as far as I know, there is no IOS based vmps server code, so the

4500 is out. Your choices are really a 5000 or like I said, a cat2948G.

Clearly, its not very well supported by Cisco, and pretty much out of the view of mainstream.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

done using Cisco 5000 or

put the "MAC addresses -

My guess is that cisco put it in at the request of a /big/ customer and did not really supported it otherwise.

I have never liked the look of it due to it's complexity. The technology is not scalable to enterprise networks due the requirement to have L2 VLANS spread over the areas in which connectivity is required. This is not the modern way:-)

To the OP, what is the objective?

Reply to
anybody43

I think the OP is me... Well due to the fact that different work groups belonging some times to different companies operate in the same building, I would like to separate and distinguish who can reach what.

I know that 802.1x should be the target but I'm not too confident with it and with radius servers. Moreover with VLANS I can reduce broadcast domains and that's good.

I can use OpenVMPS but seen I spent, or will spend, thousands of euros for Cisco devices I would like to use them at the best.

One more question can 802.1x manage VLANs? Or to use the benefits of VLANs I need to have to parallel systems working at the same time?

I have already a "2 systems" right now; I mean I want that each PC identified by the MAC address falls into the VLAN I want and receives the IP I configured for it. So I need to maintain 2 databases.... :(

Thanks, Alex.

P.S. What does "OP" stand for?

Reply to
AM

different companies operate in the same

with radius servers.

Cisco devices I would like to use them at the

need to have to parallel systems working at

by the MAC address falls into the VLAN I

I have not much (ok, any:) experience in this area.

One I Can answer, usually in Usenet, Original Poster.

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.