Cisco 857 unable to connect to ADSL

We have a new Cisco 857 ADSL router, and have configured it with (we believe) the correct settings using the built-in "SDM Express" software. However, we're unable to connect to the Internet using it.

We know the ADSL line is OK, because if we use a Draytek or a Linksys router on the same line (we've tried both), they connect just fine.

Trouble is, our Cisco knowledge is somewhat limited - can someone please recommend how we might proceed to troubleshoot from here?

Cheers,

Jim Rorrison

Reply to
Jim Rorrison
Loading thread data ...

I should also mention that we've swapped the Cisco router out with an identical one, and that can't connect either.

However, when we install the Cisco router on an ADSL line located in a different city, it DOES work..

So it appears that the Cisco doesn't "like" the ADSL line we have here, although other types of router have no problems with it.

Any ideas? It's got us baffled!

Cheers,

Jim Rorrison

Reply to
Jim Rorrison

show version show run show interface show atm interface atm0

debug atm events ( shut/no shut atm interface)

Reply to
Merv

In addition to what Merv said, try all dsl operating-mode options as I had a similar problem where although my ISP said use ITU full rate mode (itu-dmt) as soon as I changed it to ansi-dmt it connected straight away!!

Router(config-if)#dsl operating-mode ? ansi-dmt ANSI full rate mode auto auto detect mode itu-dmt ITU full rate mode

J
Reply to
jamie

There is problem with new ADSL 20190 chipset and some older DSLAM cards (Siemens one of them). I have observed similar behaviour with 876 router don't working on the line where 836 works just fine. Have a look at bug CSCsc52775. You need to open TAC case to resolve the problem if you can't get you line switched to another DSLAM card type.

Regards, iLya

Reply to
Charlie Root

There are firmware upgrades available from cisco. I don´t know how else to get them than opening a tac-case

good lick

Reply to
Horst Wagner

FYI I seemed to have this and fixed it with a regrade to the latest greatest software.

12.4(4)T1

It did connect once with dsl operating-mode ansi-

I am on BT (effectively) in the UK .

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.