Configure MPLS VPN on Ethernet VLAN interfaces

I created Ethernet subinterfaces with VLAN and isl/dot1q encapsulation. then i tried Applying VRF (part of MPLS VPN) to it, and it worked without giving error. But I believe, VPN isnt supported on VLAN interfaces.. it doesnt make sense to have L3 tunneling inside L2. I dont know if this configuration works in real, but it is accpeted by cisco CLI.

Any ideas?

Reply to
FX
Loading thread data ...

VRF's are used to create independent routing instances. Each VRF has its own routing table and VRF's don't mix or share routes. They are supported on VLAN, dot1q, and physical interfaces on versions of IOS that support VRF's. MPLS networks add a "tag" to the packets which identify the VRF the encapsulated packet belongs to. Without VRF's, VPN's wouldn't work but I suspect that what you have configured is not going to work the way you think.

Reply to
Thrill5

what you probably have is each vlan can be bound as an interface to a VRF.

what you have is vlans which are logical interfaces to the different emulated routers in each VRF.

FWIW the way we support multiple VPNs to a site with Ethernet WAN access is to extend each VRF from PE to CE as a different VLAN tag

it does work. it does not need VPNs or MPLS to be useful.

for example we run management in 1 VRF in a L3 switch, and customer traffic in another.

2 logical routing instances in different VRFs, with different routing tables.
Reply to
Stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.