How to Configure RIP on Cisco 2950G-L3

I have a Cisco 2950G-L3 switch. It is configured for Integrated Routing and Bridging. I have it configured with several Bridge Groups (BVIs.) Each BVI has several FastEthernet Ports assigned to it. Each BVI has an ip address assigned to it.

I would like to configure RIP on the switch. When I advertise a network, will it advertise out of all FastEthernet ports in a BVI or can I limit it to advertise out of one particular FastEthernet port? If so how do I do this?

Thanks

Reply to
tman
Loading thread data ...

Whoops! The switch is a 2948G-L3.

Reply to
tman

The RIP advertisments will be emitted from all ports in the bridge group. There is normally no reason to be concerned about this, however if you feel that you need to stop them it may be possible with MAC access lists.

For RIPV2 it might be quite easy since RIP V2 uses a multicast destination address which you can filter on. For RIP V1 you would need to be able to go into the packet to the UDP port which I don't know if you can do.

This particular hardware platform is rather unusual in the cisco lineup and its features seem to be somewhat unique. I am not exactly wure what it supports.

Reply to
bod43

Another one of its peculiarities is that it does not support ACLs. I guess I will have to live with the advertisements going out of each port if I configure RIP.

Thanks

Reply to
tman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.