Two independent T1s on a 2610?

Hi folks,

I have inherited a network with two full T1s -- one to our upstream ISP, and another one to a remote company office. Both are connected through 2516 routers, which are getting a little old.

I have a spare 2610 lying around, with a couple of T1 CSU/DSU WICs. Is there anything to stop me replacing the pair of 2516s with a single

2610? I guess my concerns are CPU utilization (though I can't imagine that a pair of T1s could max out a 2610) and the fact that the 2610 only has one Ethernet NIC -- even though it's physically connecting two separate remote networks to my LAN.

One thing worth noting is that the 2610s are running IOS 11 releases, and in order to go to IOS 12 I'd have to upgrade the amount of RAM installed -- something I would like to do anyway.

Thanks!

Chris

Reply to
Chris
Loading thread data ...

It sounds like you have one T1 on the outside of your firewall, and one on the inside?

You aren't going to be able to seperate out the traffic all that well with just the one ethernet. Even if you had two, you'd have to setup some elaborate policy routing to keep the traffic seperate. If the traffic seperation is an issue, then you shouldn't swap out both. If it isn't, it still depends alot on how your internal network is handled.

The 2600 isn't all that big of a router. It can handle 2 T1s comfortably. I usually tell my sales guys that it can do 3-4 T1s if that is all it is doing, and that would max it out of capacity (even if you put 8 T1s into the box, the max you can do physically, it certainly won't be able to handle that kind of load), but anybody doing that probably wants to look to a bigger router as it is.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

That's correct -- one is our link to the internet, the other is just a remote office.

Traffic separation isn't *really* a problem; the remote office actually goes through the main office (via their T1 to us) and then out to the internet (via our T1 to our ISP). But, still, traffic separation would still be a nice thing to have. I just can't remember if there are Ethernet or FastEthernet WICs for 2610s or not, and whether or not I'd run out of slots after installing the dual single-T1 WICs. Of course, I might be able to install a single dual-T1 WIC (I think they make those?)

Okay great, thanks. I am actually looking at collecting NetFlow data off our T1s, but the 2516s I'm using don't support it because their IOS is too old (and too little RAM for a new version). The other reason I would like to consolidate the two 2516s into one 2610 is to save money

-- the 2516s aren't eligible for SMARTnet, and obviously maintaining two 2610s is more expensive than maintaining one.

Reply to
Chris

I should mention that the current setup has the remote office setup as a network bridge -- so at the moment, there is exactly no traffic separation. :)

I would like to change that, though...

Reply to
Chris

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.