Routing between two subnets HELP!

Hi, Just like to ask what is probably a simple question to answer yet I am stumped since I was told that I am wearing the hat of network assistant for the next two weeks...

I have two subnets, one is at 10.15.133.0 and the other is at

I have been asked to connected both subnets together in order to assist with a data transfer from several workstations

On each subnet lies a cisco router. On the 10.X is a cisco 2610 at

10.15.133.1 and on the 128.X subnet is a Cisco 2501 at 128.145.99.1

So the question is how do I the subnets to communicate back and forth?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
craigstern
Loading thread data ...

And how is the 2610 connected to the 2501?

Reply to
chris

Ethernet 0 on the 2501 and Ethernet 0/0 on the 2610 via unmanaged

10/100 switch. Thanks!
Reply to
BLACKCRACK

On *one* of the two routers, add a subinterface with an IP address in the other IP space. (I suggest doing that on the 2610 as the

2501 usually has older IOS.) If you are running routing protocols (e.g., RIP) configure those appropriately; otherwise on the -other- router, configure a static route to the other network via the IP address that you configured on the first router. Then connect the two routers together and let the packets fly.

There is a temptation to add this kind of routing on to both routers, but if you do that then unless you are quite careful you can run into problems with all VLAN traffic starting to be broadcast to all member ports instead of being switched.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Thanks a bunch!! Will try and advise!

Reply to
BLACKCRACK

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.