trying to upgrade to WLSE-2.13 ...

Hello ...

I currently have WLSE-2.11 configured and doing basic management of a couple hundred (Cisco) wireless access points in a campus environment, and I'm trying to upgrade to the latest version, WLSE-2.13.

The accompanying readme file lists the following steps:

:-> "How to install this upgrade using the WLSE repository server: :-> ... :-> 1. Download the upgrade zip file ... and the info file ... then :-> place the files in an FTP-accessible location.

Done: The files exist in a directory on the same host that WLSE uses for sending its backups via FTP.

:-> 2. Using the "repository" CLI command, configure the FTP host and :-> pathname. :-> :-> repository source ftp:///

Done. I've tried both "path" as relative from the home directory of the user that WLSE uses for FTP access, and with the full directory path. Both give the same result (described further below).

:-> 3. List the contents of the source using the "repository" CLI :-> command. ... :-> :-> repository list remote

Attempted, but failed:

admin@wlse:repository list remote Repository Source: ftp://${FTP_SERVER}/wlse.updates/ Username:ftp-wlse Password: Directory listing of URL: Directory listing not allowed. admin@wlse:

In the log on my FTP server (tried also enabling debug logging, with no change), I see no evidence that WLSE is even attempting to make the FTP connection, let alone succeeding and trying to get a directory listing.

I can confirm that data backups are succeeding daily from WLSE to the same FTP server, in a different directory, and that my workstation is able to access the FTP server, via FTP as user "ftp-wlse" and get a directory listing of "wlse.updates". (ie. not a file permission problem, or on of FTP server configuration refusing the directory listing)

I have also tried the next step, with similar results:

:-> 4. Add the upgrade image to the local repository. ... :-> :-> repository add WLSE-2.13u-K9

admin@wlse:repository add WLSE-2.13u-K9 Repository Source: ftp://${FTP_SERVER}/wlse.updates Username:ftp-wlse Password: WLSE-2.13u-K9.info log.txt Unable to obtain WLSE-2.13u-K9.info file.

There is no attempt logged on the FTP server, for access from WLSE.

I'm quite certain that I must be missing something (perhaps a step not documented because it should be obvious, even if it isn't to me?) on WLSE (or its configuration) itself.

Does anyone on this newsgroup have experience with this, and can offer some advice?

Thanks in advance ...

Reply to
Sylvain Robitaille
Loading thread data ...

(difficulty upgrading Cisco WLSE from 2.11 to 2.13, following the published documentation. Steps to contact the FTP server fail with no indication in the server logs that any connection was attempted.)

I couldn't wait much longer for a followup, so I took the complete lack of responses to mean that no one had any advice to offer, and went ahead with an installation of 2.13 from scratch ("reload"), then restored data from backup via FTP on the same server. That worked beautifully, and I'm pleased to have WLSE upgraded, but it still isn't clear to me why the upgrade procedure appears to not work as published.

Thanks anyway to folks who would have liked to help ... :-)

Reply to
Sylvain Robitaille

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.