trouble with dynamic IP and dyndns host

Hi folks,

I'm aving some trouble with my dialup connection. Scenario as follows: Router PIX501 with os 3.7 DynDNS hostname: myhost.dyndns.org WAN IP: be it 81.82.40.31 (dynamic) Internal Server IP: 10.0.0.1 (hosts all the required services, mail, http, etc) PAT: enabled Static: Rules enabled, Firewall configured.

From outside interface I can access all the services with no trouble.

What I need now is that a client storing the hostname "myhost.dyndns.org" I.E. as POP3 server, be redirected to 10.0.0.1; since I cannot configure my DNS server accordingly (don't want to copy the whole "org" zone and replace only one host entry), is there any way to configure the pix in such a way that if there is a request from Interface inside to interface outside IP (=WAN) address, it redirects the traffic to interface inside and IP 10.0.0.1?

I.e. entering the ping command will give "pinging host myhost.dyndns.org [81.82.40.31]" but will then of course fail.

I've seen this behaviour with some netgear consumer routers, which of course are newer products, but one can hope...

thanks and bye, seven

Reply to
mcseven
Loading thread data ...

| Hi folks, | | I'm aving some trouble with my dialup connection. Scenario as follows: | Router PIX501 with os 3.7 | DynDNS hostname: myhost.dyndns.org | WAN IP: be it 81.82.40.31 (dynamic) | Internal Server IP: 10.0.0.1 (hosts all the required services, mail, | http, etc) | PAT: enabled | Static: Rules enabled, Firewall configured. | | From outside interface I can access all the services with no trouble. | | What I need now is that a client storing the hostname | "myhost.dyndns.org" | I.E. as POP3 server, be redirected to 10.0.0.1; since I cannot | configure my | DNS server accordingly (don't want to copy the whole "org" zone and | replace | only one host entry), is there any way to configure the pix in such a | way | that if there is a request from Interface inside to interface outside | IP (=WAN) | address, it redirects the traffic to interface inside and IP 10.0.0.1? | | I.e. entering the ping command will give "pinging host | myhost.dyndns.org | [81.82.40.31]" but will then of course fail. | | I've seen this behaviour with some netgear consumer routers, which of | course are newer products, but one can hope...

With a static outside address you could use the alias command

formatting link
or bidirectional NAT
formatting link
you can set a dns server value in your PIX and set bidirectional NAT using a FCDN instead of a IP address (since the IP address is changing). I haven't tried this so I don't know if it will work.

A much simpler solution would be to create a zone in your DNS server named dyndns.org, and create an "A" record called "myhost" and IP address 10.0.0.1.

Reply to
Morph

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.