Test network with 2610

Hello Everyone,

Just curious if this is possible. I have an old 2610 router with a

4-port serial network module, and I can probably find an extra ethernet WIC. I would like to have it route from the ethernet port (on main network), out one serial interface, loop that into another serial interface on the same network module, and have that route to the other ethernet interface (test network). The ethernet interfaces should not be able to route directly to each other. This way I could change the speed of the serial interfaces to simulate a slow dial-up connection all the way up to T1 or DSL speeds. I know this can be done with two routers back to back, but can it be done within one 2610 router like this?

Thanks.

---Hillel

Reply to
Hillel
Loading thread data ...

No you won't, they don't exist for the 2600. If you already have the NM slot full, you've maxed out the router for ethernet connections.

You could with policy routing, but I think thats way beyond what you are learning right now. Sounds like you really should buy another router.

Without policy routing, your packets will short circuit going out the proper (closest) interface, you can't "split" a router in two. Its going to route to the closest interface.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Nistnet is what you are looking for.

You need a PC with two interfaces, actual or virtual, (one trunk). Runs on Linux and I am sure others.

Cisco have I think a CD image that you can download that has the OS and Nistnet on it.

Can set bandwidth and delay.

Works very nicely.

Reply to
Bod43

VRF lite lets you run a router as 2 or more logical "bits" with different IP routing tables.

but - not much use without a 2nd LAN port, (or using VLANs on the port you already have - this would need some sort of "plus" software image).

>
Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.