Strange Cisco Router/VPN situation

We have a Cisco VPN concentrator that has a tunnel to our remote site connecting to a cisco 1800 series router. I didn't set it up, the person who did has no ideas and I realize there are a tremendous number of variables involved, but I just wanted to throw this out there in case someone had heard of this strange behavior before.

The problem is that all PC's and Linux machines, when sending network traffic of any but the smallest size (rsyncing, scping files, emails etc) across the VPN hangs after short time (like some buffer has filled up). Small emails etc went through fine.

I discovered that one laptop worked correctly so after some poking around I realized the cisco VPN client software was installed. I installed the VPN client on all the PCs and they work fine now. I don't need to activate the software, just being installed seems to have solved it.

The problem still exists for the linux computers. Having the cisco client installed has no effect. Any network transmissions of any but the smallest size across the VPN hangs.

Any idea what the vpn client software install would have changed on the PCs? I see the Determinestic network enhancer but I'm not sure if this is involved or what it enhances.

I realize I couldn't have been more vague but this is all I know and any info might help me determine what changes are needed on the linux boxes.

Thanks...

Reply to
junquemailbox
Loading thread data ...

Not sure exactly what the client is doing, but you most likely have an MTU problem. Is your connection DSL? Look into MTU path discovery.

Reply to
Scooby

Thanks for the suggestion. Its a T1 line we are using for the VPN connection

Reply to
junquemailbox

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.