simple serial P2P t1

I am trying to configure a point to point t1 with 2 ISR 1841s I think my config is accurate, but when I plug in the serial0/0/0 interface, I cannot get the line to come up. It is just down down. I have issued no shut, but no luck. On the physical interface itself, 'CD' shows green and 'AL' shows orange.

For each end of the point to point, I have one 1841 clock set as internal and one set as line. I think this is the way to properly config to avoid any point to point drop issues, correct?

Does this config look accurate for 1 end of the point to point?

On another note, this point to point does not have any firewalls between them Would that be normal to have firewalls in between them? This is my first point to point, so I apologize for my ignorance.

Thanks. Justin.

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Prot FastEthernet0/0 10.0.0.25 YES NVRAM up up FastEthernet0/1 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down Serial0/0/0 10.0.3.1 YES NVRAM administratively down down NVI0 unassigned YES unset up up

version 12.4 service timestamps debug datetime msec service timestamps log datetime msec no service password-encryption ! hostname rfg_src1841 ! boot-start-marker boot-end-marker ! no logging buffered no logging console ! no aaa new-model ! resource policy ! mmi polling-interval 60 no mmi auto-configure no mmi pvc mmi snmp-timeout 180 ip subnet-zero ip cef ! ! no ip dhcp use vrf connected ! ! no ip domain lookup ip domain name yourdomain.com ! username **** privilege 15 secret 5 $1$tFtj$EweTJUyog.VvGS5S/ju username ***** password 0 ********* ! ! ! interface FastEthernet0/0 description $ETH-LAN$$ETH-SW-LAUNCH$$INTF-INFO-FE 0$ ip address 10.0.0.25 255.255.255.0 duplex auto speed auto ! interface FastEthernet0/1 no ip address shutdown duplex auto speed auto ! interface Serial0/0/0 bandwidth 1536 ip address 10.0.3.1 255.255.255.0 encapsulation ppp shutdown service-module t1 clock source internal ppp authentication chap ! router eigrp 1 network 10.0.0.0 no auto-summary ! ip classless ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.3.2

Reply to
justin_ltg
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Chris

Hi,

Yea I went back and double checked, I also even tried to use the SDM to enable the interface as well.

My FE0/0 is good to go though

. i just did the normal

conf t int serial0/0/0 no shut

Serial0/0/0 10.0.3.1 YES NVRAM down down

-Sorry, I think when I sent the first post, I had copied the config after i was playing with Shutdown / No Shutdown. Thats why it said Admin down.

Reply to
justin_ltg

If the Alarm (AL) is still on with the interface no shut then you need to be looking at "show service-module" at both ends to see what the alarm is.

T1 Alarm Troubleshooting Flowchart

formatting link
This document is written for T1 controller cards so some commands and outputs are different. The essence is the same.

Maybe. Your T1 provider might still be providing clocking for the link. If they are then you must have clock source line at both ends. Otherwise clock source internal at one end. The rule is:

0 < # clock sources < 2.

Maybe. If it matches the other end, then yes.

Since you have chap on the interface, one of the usernames you have configured needs to be the hostname of the other router.

If you had firewalls between the routers, it would no longer be a point-to-point link. Depending on a lot of things, you *might* want to configure the firewall on the routers or have a separate one behind the routers. Then again, you might not.

Reply to
Martin Gallagher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.