Advanced Bandwidth Control with Cisco or Netequalizer

Has anybody out there ever used a CIsco router to control incoming traffic into their network.

Some of our customers are claiming that the NetEqualizer is the only product that they have seen that can control incoming traffic speeds. I am referring to traffic coming into an organization from their internet provider.

-art

Reply to
astormchaser
Loading thread data ...

I don't think that appliance does anything to incoming traffic from a provider. It looks like an ad-hoc attempt at an all-in-one QoS/ Policing/Management appliance. I have used QoS and things like Peribit extensively, and none would work on inbound traffic from the internet. First of all, you can't do anything to prioritize until it hits your edge router, and second, it relies on classification, buckets, etc. The traffic from the ISP is not classified for client networks...at least right now.

Now for wan connections that you may be buying from a provider, that is a different story. Yes this box could help classify and manage bandwidth between sites that you own/manage.

After reading a good amount on their site, I don't see anything that specifically says they manage incoming traffic. What I do see is that they claim they can control or 'contain' applications like P2P, etc, but this may mean by limiting the outgoing requests or dropping packets. The latter is not an effective solution, particularly for real time applications or business critical systems. Perhaps for P2P, its a good way to control over-usage, but I don't know of any major corporation that allows those services in/out of their network to begin with.

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.