Point to Point T1 as backup

Hi,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Our satellite office has a T1 for it's internet access and a Point to Point T1 that connects it to the main office. The Point to Point is used for mainly for Voice although I believe some years ago data as well. This morning the T1 used for internet began bouncing. Is there a way my satellite users could switch over to the Point to Point and use main office's internet?

Thanks for any help. Jason

Reply to
Jason
Loading thread data ...

Both connections, the T-1 and the point to point connection, are terminated in the same router? If so, set 2 IP ROUTE statements,

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 metric 1 ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 metric 2

I believe that will use your main ISP as your default gateway and your point to point connection as a backup if one is down.

Reply to
Artie Lange

Hi,

Thanks for quick response. Unfortunately, both connections have their own routers.

Reply to
Jason

Ugh...

In that case I would think you could do one of two things:

Configure HSRP between the two routers and use the PTP router as the failover.

Or

Change the default gateway on your PC's to use the other router, this could be done via DHCP.

Other than that I can not think of anything else....

Reply to
Artie Lange

Thanks, I'll try changing default gateway first.

Reply to
Jason

There's a whole lot of assumptions here about IP addresses and how they might be routed, in particular that if the satellite office sends its Internet traffic to the main office that the outbound packets will be accepted and that the responses will be routed back via the main office. Its especially tricky if, as the OP says, the satellite's Internet connection is bouncing - even if all the necessary dynamic routing is in place it's still likely that service quality would be affected.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.