SDM install on 1760 - broken RCP?

I have a 1760 that I'm trying to install the SDM files onto, however, I simply get an error that RCP is denied. I did a packet trace and I see SDM login to the router, issue some rcmd commands, then try to open a TCP connection to destination port 514 (shell). The router sends a RST back to SDM as if the service isn't available, or, blocked by policy. I've tried simply issuing "ip rcmds rcp-enable" and the "remote-host" options - all to no avail.

I don't have any ACL's defined...this is a test install. I'm running

12.4 with IOS FW, IPS, etc.

Nothing seems to work! What am I missing? This is my first experience with 12.4. Arrgh!

Reply to
Cisco Guy
Loading thread data ...

What are the usernames and password involved? The arcane structure of logins related to rcmds is the thing that usually trips up first time users. Why use r commands? Every time I do I have to re-learn the password tricks that it needs, since it depends on how the other side is setting its default username.

You need to set up the command ip rcmd remote-username and ip rcmd remote-password

or wire appropriately into AAA for authentication.

Google those command for more tips.

In general, you are better off using another transport, unless you really love r commands.

Reply to
Phillip Remaker

Hey Phil,

Actually, this is the preferred transport method utilized by SDM...frankly, I don't know why Cisco doesn't get with the times when it comes to stuff like this. Sheesh, it's (nearly) 2006 and we're still using TFTP, RCP/RShell, and SSH V1. Kinda hard to take a company seriously that forces users to use these crap tools, then, calls itself a security company! :-)

I'll give your suggestions a shot. The documentation for SDM is pretty poor, and, the IOS docs for the rcmds aren't much better. According to them, what I've done to this point should "just work". Thanks for the response.

Reply to
Cisco Guy

I was using SDM with a 1721 and then upgraded my IOS tonight and in doing so I started fresh (deleted flash). I went to reinstall the SDM onto the 1721 after the upgrade was completed successfully and I restored my config from before and now I get the RCP is denied on connected interface error that I assume you are getting. Did you have any success getting it to work?

Thanks

Bryan

Cisco Guy wrote:

Reply to
mas

For anyone who might be reading this... during the install of SDM it gets to a part of the install where it is going to copy the needed files to the routers flash via RCP. The install tries to enable RCP on the router and then fails with the following error. "RCP is denied through the connected interface".

Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
mas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.