DHCP for remote sites

Can anyone tell my if it is possible to have the cisco dhpc server lease addresses to remote sites, without having to use a address from the dchp pool on a interface on the router performing the dhcp service? My guess is that if you dont understand the question , you dont know the answer ;-) Cheers, Hafsteinn

Reply to
Hafsteinn
Loading thread data ...

what you are looking is DHCP relay

formatting link

Reply to
Anthrax

I am using relay. My setup is my cisco 1811 wich is my DHCP server. The cisco is connected to another router wich is acting as a relay for the LAN subnet it is on. The problem is that i cant have my cisco box lease addresses throug the relay if I dont have an address from the dhcp pool (for the remote site), on an interface on my cisco. And that just dont make sense to me. I dont want to use the same subnet or even a single adress from the remote site on my cisco. I just want it to relay addresses to the remote site. The error I get when I debug "Debug ip dhcp server event" is something like, there is no address pool for the wan address of my remote router. Hope I am making sense, I am writing this in a hurry. Cheers, Hafsteinn

Reply to
Hafsteinn

The relay needs to populate the DHCP GIADDR field with the IP address of the interface on which the ip helper-address was configured. DHCP servers use the GIADDR field to look up the DHCOp scope ( pool)

Reply to
Merv

You should be able without any issue, if is not working please provide the output for the dhcp debugs including the ones from the relay agent and the IOS version.

Reply to
Anthrax

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.