How to force DHCP client router to renew its lease?

Hi,

I have a Cisco 2514 acting as an Internet gateway in a CCNA study lab setup. I have a Comcast cable modem connect to e1. The 2514 is configured as a DHCP client to get its IP addressing info from Comcast. This all works fine.

Occasionally when I change configurations in the lab I want to force the 2514 to renew its DHCP lease info from Comcast. The only way I have been able to do this is to power cycle the cable modem. Then "shutdown", "no shutdown" interface e1. Simply shutting down the interface and bringing it back up does not cause the router to get a fresh IP address on e1 unless I power cycle the modem first.

Is there a better way to do this? It seems to that there would be a direct unambiguous command to renew the DHCP client, something akin to "ipconfig /renew" in windows. But, I'm new to this and may not be thinking in the correct context.

Thanks, John

Reply to
JohnH.
Loading thread data ...

IOS router, you can go into conf-t mode under the interface and simply re-issue the "ip address dhcp command" This will then, as it is in running config, get excecuted at once.

Try it, and give a yell, if its ok or not.

HTH Martin Bilgrav

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

Thanks, that did it. i copied the "ip address DHCP..." command into the clipboard, entered "no ip address." I then pasted the ip address dhcp command back from the clipboard hit enter and a new IP address was recieved from the ISP right away.

Reply to
JohnH.

no need to say "no ip address" first, just simply re-issue the "ip address dhcp"

HTH Martin

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

Thanks for the tip!

Reply to
JohnH.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.