delay of reply on ping and high cpu usage

hi all I have cisco 2514 router ,some times when i ping to it (from internal lan) it resbond it 500 to 1200 ms and give a lot of packet loss, and this goes for about two houres and then finished and the router gets back to its normal work (ping replyes with 10-20 ms at most) while these 2 houres the cpu utilization varies from 85% to 90% . i think there is a machine inside that is the reason for thatwhen send a lot of

traffic . how can i detect the ip of this machine. and how to be sure it not from outside, and if it was from outside, how

to detect its IP and prevent it from attcking my network. i hope i can find an answer because i;m in a big trouble. thank you all.

Reply to
enghmh
Loading thread data ...

To find the IP address of a box on the inside I would suggest to tap the wire to the router, e.g. by putting a hub between the Router and the Switch it's connected to:

Switch ------ Hub ------ Router | your PC

On your PC you run a sniffer (e.g. Wireshark [1]) to inspect the network traffic.

An outside attacker's IP should show up in the logs on your router, but I'm not really familiar with Cisco boxes. Walter Roberson can probably give you some pointers with that.

[1]
formatting link
cu 59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.