cisco wic-1adsl wan card connect to ISP

Cisco 2651XM router fitted with WIC-1ADSL interface card

1) the cisco doc for the wic-adsl card says that when the CD light is flashing this means it's training with DSLAMs, but the light flashes in two different ways, there's a few seconds of fast flashing, followed by a few seconds of slow flashing. What do these two different flashing speeds signify?

2) as a newbie I've been unsuccessful in connecting to my ISP with the wic-adsl card. Before coming here I've been trawling through cisco documents but I can't work out what the correct commands are for a successful connection. I confess I also don't know the command to verify if I have a successful connection or not. My wic card is present in the cli as interface ATM0/0. Here are the details for connecting to my isp, who happens to be a very bog standard UK isp on a BT phone line. Connection type: PPPoA VPI value: 0 VCI Value: 38 Encapsulation type: VC-MUX (or VC based) Modulation: G.DMT (or DMT) Authentication type: CHAP (may be listed as "PAP or CHAP") ADSL Username: username ADSL Password: password

Thanks for any pointers.

Reply to
tg
Loading thread data ...

this means

Different phases of the DSL training up. You can watch the card with the 'show dsl int atm 0/0' command..

Probably PAP and not CHAP...

interface ATM0 no shutdown pvc 0/38 encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer dialer pool-member 1 interface Dialer1 description PPPoA Dialer ip address negotiated encapsulation ppp dialer pool 1 ppp authentication chap pap callin ppp pap sent-username username password password

Should be straight out of the Cisco docs for doing PPPoA on a cisco router..

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

thanks for your response Doug, those commands are making the adsl lights behave the way I think they should. Do you know if there's a way to test for certain if the adsl card is connected to the isp? Is there a command one can run? I think my lan-routing-nat-config is a mess and will need sorting out but I'd like to be certain about the adsl connection before proceeding with that. Thanks for any further advice.

Reply to
tg

There's really two actions.

There's training up to the DSLAM. Then there's logging into the ISP's LNS or whatever they use internally.

You can check on the DSL line training up to the DSLAM with the 'show dsl int atm 0/0'

command. Check status to make sure it says Showtime. Then you are trained.

You can do a 'who' to see a PPPoA link connected to the ISP. You can also look at the 'show int dialer 1' to see if it obtained an IP address. Likely there'll be an 'interface is bound to Vix' and you should be able to see info on that virtual-interface.

If neither are there, then you probably have to 'debug ppp packet' and the like to see what is going on.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

"Doug McIntyre" wrote in message news:4891147d$0$90348$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.iphouse.net...

thanks for your further help Doug. I did 'show dsl int atm 0/0' and I did see 'Modem Status: Showtime (DMTDSL_SHOWTIME)' so I know the line has trained. I don't know the command to do a 'who', can you help me on that one? I did 'show int dialer 1' but there was no ip address in the router response so I think I'm still doing something wrong. Here is what the router said:

------------------ router#show int dialer1 Dialer1 is up, line protocol is up (spoofing) Hardware is Unknown Description: PPP0A dialer Internet address will be negotiated using IPCP MTU 1500 bytes, BW 56 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255 Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set Keepalive set (10 sec) DTR is pulsed for 1 seconds on reset Interface is bound to Vi2 Last input never, output never, output hang never Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:04:49 Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0 Queueing strategy: weighted fair Output queue: 0/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops) Conversations 0/0/16 (active/max active/max total) Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated) Available Bandwidth 42 kilobits/sec 5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec 5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec 0 packets input, 0 bytes 0 packets output, 0 bytes Bound to: Virtual-Access2 is up, line protocol is down Hardware is Virtual Access interface MTU 1500 bytes, BW 448 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255 Encapsulation PPP, LCP Listen PPPoATM vaccess, cloned from Dialer1 Vaccess status 0x44 Bound to ATM0/0 VCD: 1, VPI: 0, VCI: 38, loopback not set Keepalive set (10 sec) DTR is pulsed for 5 seconds on reset Interface is bound to Di1 (Encapsulation PPP) Last input 00:00:34, output never, output hang never Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:05:14 Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0 Queueing strategy: fifo Output queue: 0/40 (size/max) 5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec 5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec 40 packets input, 703 bytes, 0 no buffer Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles 0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort 100 packets output, 1207 bytes, 0 underruns 0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets 0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out 0 carrier transitions

Reply to
tg

"tg" ha scritto nel messaggio news:g6s6c3$f5m$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

Hi,

the command 'who' is just that... (who) (should give you something like the following: Interface User Mode Idle Peer Address Vi2 PPPoATM 00:00:00 192.168.100.1

Anyway since your PPP is in state LCP Listen (should be LCP Open and IPCP Open) you're not connected.

As already suggested try a 'debug ppp ' (i.e. debug ppp packet, debug ppp events, debug ppp negotiation, debug ppp authentication) to find out the root cause

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

debug ppp

thanks for your feedback Gabrielle. The lights on the adsl card appear to be doing the right thing and I've been trying to connect all day, so I rang my isp who said their end showed I hadn't even tried to log on (all day) so my router isn't even trying to connect, which I find puzzling. How does one get the adsl card to initiate a connection? I tried what you said and my cli responded thus: thanks for any further tips btw.

-----------------------------

router#debug ppp negotiation PPP protocol negotiation debugging is on router#debug ppp authentication PPP authentication debugging is on router#debug ppp events ^ % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

router#debug ppp packet PPP packet display debugging is on

router#who Line User Host(s) Idle Location

• 0 con 0 idle 00:00:00

Interface User Mode Idle Peer Address

router#

Reply to
tg

"tg" ha scritto nel messaggio news:g6slbp$q3o$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

Hi,

debug ppp events is corrct, maybe you have an older IOS release (the command is surely functional in IOS 12.3(26). The ATM interface is probably already properly configured, but I'll nevertheless repeat the whole config (an example for a PPPoAAL5 VC-MUX):

interface ATM0/2 bandwidth 480 no ip address logging event atm pvc state dsl enable-training-log pvc alice 8/35 vbr-nrt 480 480 encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer dialer pool-member 1

interface Dialer0 ip address negotiated previous no ip redirects no ip proxy-arp encapsulation ppp dialer pool 1 dialer idle-timeout 0 dialer persistent no cdp enable ppp pap sent-username password

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

Double check the ATM PVC value given.

If they aren't seeing something, most likely the PVC you stated was incorrect.

IOS tries to pretty much dial PPPoA connections all the time, so you don't have to initiate anything.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

thanks for your reply Doug. the only thing I could find in the config regarding atm pvc value was: Bound to ATM0/0 VCD: 1, VPI: 0, VCI: 38, loopback not set

The connection details my isp gives out to all customers is: Connection type: PPPoA VPI value: 0 VCI Value: 38

thus I've been entering: router(config-if)#pvc 0/38 that's right isn't it?

Reply to
tg

pvc 0/38 enters pvc editing mode, it doesn't necessarily state that this is the PVC to use, but the commands underneath (ie. notice they are indented a space in the 'show conf' listing) define that things should talk o the PVC they are defined on.

I'm just saying that typically, if your ISP isn't seeing you talking, then likely the PVC is wrong. The DSLAM will discard any cells they get on a PVC that doesn't match up (ie. they are configured for 8/38, and you talk on 0/38, the DSLAM is going to toss all those cells).

If you do the 'debug ppp packet' and see your PPP packets going out, and not getting anything back, and the ISP isn't seeing anything from you, then there's something wrong in the middle. Either the PVC is wrong, or the circuit is broken, or something..

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

thanks for your help along the way Doug, I'm finally on the internet with this adsl card. what a relief. There is one strange thing though, maybe you can shed some light. My lan is on 172.16.1.xx and goes into fastethernet port 0/0. There is nothing happening on fe0/1 and in the running config for it says: FastEthernet0/1 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down and the little green lights for the f0/1 port are all off. But the adsl training won't sync without f0/1 being connected to something. I have a little plastic dinky router and if I switch it on and connect f0/1 to it the dsl sync eventually succeeds and the CD light goes solid and the internet connection comes on. But if I pull the cable out of the f0/1 port the CD light starts blinking. This is weird. Any idea why the router behaves this way?

Reply to
tg

Thats very odd. I've never seen it on dozens of 26xx class routers.

This is all legit cisco gear? No gray-market stuff?

Some of my resellers tell me weird & strange things can happen with gray-market stuff, like two knock-off WIC-1DSU-T1 cards in a 26xx router won't work at the same time and the like..

Otherwise, try a different IOS rev.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

I bought the router and adsl card from the same guy off ebay - I don't know what gray-market stuff means and and don't know if my router is a gray market item. Is there a way to tell? Since my earlier post things have gone from bad to worse. Now I can't get any adsl sync at all. I'm stuck with a blinking CD light regardless of what wires are plugged in or not. I've contacted my isp to get them to check it but I'm still waiting for a reply from them. I've also done the swapping modem lead and filter etc but no joy. Which brings me to the question... if I can't get the dsl to train could this in any way be attributed to config errors? or is it purely a hardware issue? thanks for any advice you can give on this Doug and in the meantime I will certainly try a different IOS.

Reply to
tg

before you respond Doug I found the problem. As a last desperate resort to this problem I took the adsl card out of the router and put it under a strong light and got out my magnifying glass and began to inspect the card. There's a silver capacitor that sticks up from the board and bugger me I could rock it backwards and forwards with my finger. So I got out the soldering iron, repaired the contacts, put the card back in and wham, perfecto. Thinking about it this is exactly the kind of fault that would happen from transit handling and I only unpacked it a few days ago.

Reply to
tg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.