Req: 801 Tinyrom1.4.(1)

Hi Oliver,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Sofware Search.

Search for software images and image metadata:

formatting link
Any problems call Cisco in Germany:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA/Canada Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com
Loading thread data ...

All,

I have a broken Cisco801 which I can only access via the console port. I need to replace it with a another 801, but this one only has the TinyROM1.2 in flash. As I need to run 12.3 I need the 1.4 version.

I searched for the Tinyrom version at

formatting link
and ftp.cisco.com (ls-lr.Z), but I coulnd't get hold of it.

Does anybody know where to find it. I tried several hours already to get it out of the broken Ciscos flash (e.g. uprading via Xmodem etc. but Xmodem works only into one direction and after having a running IOS on it I can't "copy flash:Tinyrom xmodem:t"?!

So any help is appreciated!

Reply to
Oliver Doll

Oliver,

You may find the Cisco Router TAC Knowledge Base of assistance:

http://129.41.16.73/core/home Sincerely,

Brad Reese Cisco TAC Contacts Worldwide

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

tnx - this brought me onto the right track.

I already came across c800u-tinyrom-mw in the FTP sites ls-lR.Z listing, but I was scared by the file size (126 KB vs 48 KB in flash).

But as the SW search for tinyrom mentioned the version# 1.4.1 I gave it a try - and voila - I'm there :-)

Life can be see easy if you know what to do ...

Reply to
Oliver Doll

Now I ran into another issue:

I can't write files to the NVRAM. The 801

IOS (tm) C800 Software (C800-K9OSY6-MW), Version 12.3(15a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) ROM: TinyROM version 1.4(1) Cisco C801 (MPC850) processor (revision 1) with 56024K bytes of virtual memory.

8K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory

reports failures of the kind:

router#dir nvram: Directory of nvram:/

1 -rw- 7331 startup-config 2 ---- 0 private-config 3 -rw- 7331 underlying-config

No space information available

*Mar 1 00:41:44.629: %SYS-4-NV_BLOCK_INITFAIL: Unable to initialize the geometry of nvram

A hint at Cisco for this error message recommends:

"Explanation The software has detected that it failed to initialize the NVRAM block geometry (a part of the NVRAM that hosts non-configuration data files). Typically, these files are used by SNMP to store and retrieve non-configuration persistent data across a system reload. This condition may occur when the entire NVRAM is packed with the configuration, and the newer version of software that supports this feature could not find enough room in the NVRAM to initialize the block file system.

Recommended Action Reduce the configurations in the NVRAM by at least 2Kb."

router#erase /all nvram: Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all files! Continue? [confirm] %Error erasing nvram: (No such file or directory)

*Mar 1 00:50:03.813: %SYS-4-NV_BLOCK_INITFAIL: Unable to initialize the geometry of nvram

Do I simply have to consider the NVRAM to be broken or is there another way to initialise it again?

Reply to
Oliver Doll

tnx again, but this time I think I couldn't find a solution rather than: "Issue the write erase command and reload the router. If the issue persists, the hardware will need to be replaced."

Reply to
Oliver Doll

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.