T1/E1 and T3/E3 - configuration

HI,

AM little confused on the terms T1/E1 and T3/E3

As far as I am concerned there are T1/E1 and T3/E3 in ISDN. And there are T1/E1 and T3/E3 in our normal leased line connection (inter office WAN link connection) where we are not using any ISDN service. What is the difference between these two??

=================================================================== Secondly I have seen the configuration commands

Interface controller t1 0/0 Pri-group / channel-group Clock Framing Line code

Interface serial 0/0 :23 Ip addrss

My question is that is that is enough for a T1/E1 configuration. And why in some configurations Pri-group and in some other configurations channel-group is configured. What is the difference between these two?

Thanks,

dabance

Reply to
dabance
Loading thread data ...

For simplicity, we'll just take one standard. A T1 is a digital carrier that contains 24 64k voice channels, or bearer channels in ISDN terminology.

A T3 is a digital carrier that contains 28 T1s.

With reguard to ISDN, a PRI service is a T1 with 23 voice/bearer channels, and the 24th one taken over for signalling.

There's nothing specific for ISDN to a T3. Since a PRI is a T1 with signalling, a T3 can still carry 28 T1s in it.

You can run data over T3 or T1 in certain ways, but they were designed for voice originally. But since its all digital, it doesn't really matter what you run over it. The telco doesn't care as long as it looks like a T1 or T3 signal, they'll pass it along to your destination.

Those commands are specific to certain controller types, you must have some of the more generic multi-plexing controllers. But, yes, this should be sufficient for controlling a T1 level signal.

pri-group is used if you have PRIs. Channel-group is used if you have DSS T1, either using all 24 channels straight up for data, or if you get your voice services over all 24 channels of the T1 depending on your application.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

thnanks very much , McIntyre.. its almost clear for me.. But lemme as one more qus...

i understood that for an ISDN PRI i need to configure controller parameters as well as the serial interface for signalling ( for ex: interface 0/0 :23 for the signalling and here we are giving the ip address. hope no ip addres is given @ controller t1)

But for non ISDN T1, do we need to configure any parameter on a serial interface? And where we are giving the ip address???

thank you, dabance

Doug Mc> >AM little confused on the terms T1/E1 and T3/E3

Reply to
dabance

No, it doesn't make any sense to do any IP addresses at the controller level (it'd be an error if you tried). IPs only can go on interfaces anyway.

Depends on your application? I'm not sure by your classification. There's three classes I'd use. Voice ISDN, Voice CAS, and Data. Voice ISDN and Voice CAS are identical, you just end up using different commands in the controller (pri-group vs channel-group). The resulting Serial interface is done the same (probably not a whole lot on there IP addresswise for doing Voice).

For Data T1s, you'd probably put an IP address on the Serial interface assuming you are doing numbered interfaces.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.