Point to Point T1

Hello,

I have a point to point T1 connection between my office and our co- location. I have a cisco 2801 in my office and a 1720 in the co-lo. Before taking the 1720 to the co-lo I have them both in house and tested the connection with a T1 crossover cable. Everything worked fine. Now that we have placed the device at the other location and connected it via the T1 I cannot get sync at ether end. If you could tell me what info you might need to help me resolve this issue I will post it. Thanks a buunch

Reply to
Jeitzen
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
This should get you on the right track....although may need to get your provider involved depending on the possible issue.

Reply to
Trendkill

How about a looksie at the configuration of the routers?

Reply to
Chad Mahoney

Do you use a normal STRAIGHT cable to connect to demarc? When you connect to demarc smart jack (RJ45 jack, assigned by your Telco provider), you should use a normal Ethernet cable, not T1 crossover. Another thing is - not every Ethernet patchcord will work. I experienced it a couple times, when one Ethernet cable works with T1, and another doesn't . I had no time to check them with a cable tester, but it's another thing you should check. And from the practical standpoint, it's better to bring your router right next to T1 Demarc, and connect it. In this case you will see both lights - router's and provider's.

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

Okay, so I think I am starting to head in the right direction. So I discovered today that my point to point t1 is just an open pipe between me and the co-lo. So as I understand it, I just need the line coding from the telco, the rest I provide. So I can choose my own encapsulation right? Also I need to set a master and slave clockrate?

I have the t1 controller at my location cofiged as follows

controller T1 0/1/1 framing esf clock source internal linecode b8zs channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24

Here is the serial interface

interface Serial0/1/1:0 description corp ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.252 encapsulation ppp no cdp enable

As of right now my equp at the co-lo is down. We will be bringing it up shortly. So I should be able to just config the other serial interface at the colo as follows

interface Serial0/1/1:0 description co-lo ip address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.252 encapsulation ppp no cdp enable

Now, like I said before when I had both routers here. I was able to connect the via a t1 cross over cable and get sync and ping each others ethernet interface accross the t1 link. So I am assuming with the info I have gotten from the telco that I just need to provide the clocking.

Is any of this making sense?

Reply to
Jeitzen

Pretty much. When you connect the co-lo check "show controllers t1" to see that there are no alarms present on the T1s. Assuming no alarms, your serial interfaces should change to line up/protocol up and you're away.

If you see slip seconds on the co-lo end it indicates a clocking issue and then you might try clock source line at both ends just in case the telco is clocking the circuit.

For some reason T1 controllers default to 56kbps timeslots. Have a look at show interface, and if it says the bandwidth (BW) is 1344kbps instead of

1536kbps you will need to reconfigure your channel groups at both ends, adding "speed 64" to make full use of the link.

You will have to remove and recreate the channel groups and reconfigure serial interfaces to make that change if it's necessary.

Reply to
Martin Gallagher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.