PIX with Failover license temporary use as Full PIX

Hello,

We have two of PIXes (515E) The first is working as primary, the second one is working as Failover and has a Failover license. Because we want to change our whole IP plan, I want to use the second one temporary near the first one but with a complete other config. So it will be more easy for me to migrate.

First question? Is this possible with an Failover license? Second question? What is the license agreement saying about this?

Grts

Tom

Reply to
Tom Pouce
Loading thread data ...

In article , Tom Pouce wrote: :We have two of PIXes (515E) The first is working as primary, the second :one is working as Failover and has a Failover license. :Because we want to change our whole IP plan, I want to use the second :one temporary near the first one but with a complete other config. :So it will be more easy for me to migrate.

:First question? Is this possible with an Failover license? :Second question? What is the license agreement saying about this?

If I recall correctly, you can do this, with the consequence that the failover unit will reboot itself once a day.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Why should the failover unit reboot itself once a day? And when is he doiing it?

K> > :We have two of PIXes (515E) The first is working as primary, the second

Reply to
Tom Pouce

Yes, you're right. It will reboot every 24 hours if it is on FO-only license. This is to prevent from the cheaper license to be used standalone. The FO-only license is intended to be used with another PIX in an active-active or active-standby pair.

Reply to
Cen

So, if the primary PIX is broken and not repaired yet. It will boot every day? Very strange. And whem it is booting. Could you manage the boot time?

Kind Regards

tom#dot%lauwere> Yes, you're right.

Reply to
Tom Pouce

In article , Tom Pouce wrote: :So, if the primary PIX is broken and not repaired yet. It will boot :every day? Very strange. :And whem it is booting. Could you manage the boot time?

It reboots 24 hours after the last boot, so if you want the daily reboot to occur at 3am, then manually trigger a boot at 3am and thereafter the 24-hour cycle will run from then. [Though it wouldn't surprise me if in practice the boot time gradually crept later, due to the time taken to boot before it registers that it is up far enough to start the 24 hour countdown.]

Reply to
Walter Roberson

No, the FO-only license PIX would not reboot when it formed a failover pair with the active PIX when it first came up.

Reply to
Cen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.