Failover route to frame

I am trying to find the best way to failover my internet connections. I have two networks that both have an internet connection (completely different ISPs for redundancy). At each location we have a Cisco 2801 Router connected to the internet, and a Cisco 2801 connected to the frame. We currently do not use the internet connection at our second location (want to get it up and running as soon as we can), and the only way that location gets to the internet is over our T1 frame.

My question is, how can I setup the Cisco 2801 as the primary route for our internet connection (as already setup at our first location) but failover to the Cisco 2600 on the frame if the internet goes down at either location? We currently use static routes, and wonder if setting up dynamic routing is the ONLY option. Also, if I have to use dynamic routes, is there a way to setup which path is the primary path, and which is the backup or failover?

Here is a basic layout of our network:

Cisco 2600---Network A | \\ | Cisco 2801 | \\ Frame| Internet | / | Cisco 2801 | / Cisco 2600---Network B

Thank you for your responses!

Reply to
RBot
Loading thread data ...

Also, we would like all network traffic to go over the frame primarily (as it currently does, and failover to Cisco 2801 over internet if the frame goes down. The original post was to setup WWW access through Cisco 2801, all other traffic through Cisco 2600.

Thanks Again!

Reply to
RBot

What you can do would be to setup a backup default route w/ a lower metric that point out the frame (you would do this on both routers on the frame) so that should the internet connection go down, there would be a route that allows you to go out through the Frame {ie- ip route

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/0 (Frame) 200 (metric) }

To have your network traffic go across the internet, you would essentially need to do the same thing as above (with a backup route), but would need to setup an IPSEC tunnel between the two routers "in the event of..."

Reply to
whistlerbnd

Thank you for your response! Here's my question now. You said that we should set up a backup default route with a lower metric that points out the frame. Is there a command for backup default ip routes? Would the 200 metric you used in your example be the correct metric to use? I don't know if there is even a metric setup for the default route. I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge and experience. This is the first time I have actually implemented any configuration like this and just want it to work correctly. Thank you for your help. It is very appreciated!

Reply to
RBot

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.