PIX and solaris question

Hi,

Recently I replaced my old firewall with a Cisco PIX one, and translated all commands, now everything seems to be fine except I cannot get out from my Sun 5.8 (no ping and traceroute outside), also I cannot open a page (port

80)on this box from outside, this is the only Unix based machine I have, and all other servers and workstations are Windows and they seem to be fine. I deleted the mac address for the old firewall using arp -d but didn't work. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
Rob
Loading thread data ...

In article , Rob wrote: :Recently I replaced my old firewall with a Cisco PIX one, and translated all :commands, now everything seems to be fine except I cannot get out from my :Sun 5.8 (no ping and traceroute outside), also I cannot open a page (port :80)on this box from outside, this is the only Unix based machine I have, and :all other servers and workstations are Windows and they seem to be fine. I :deleted the mac address for the old firewall using arp -d but didn't work. :Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

A bit difficult to say without any of the configuration information. My first guess would be DNS issues, but you might also be having issues with returning icmp (icmp is connectionless so you have to specifically permit it back in.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Could you please post (some of) your configuration, especially if you configured any access-lists, and an "ifconfig -a" from your Solaris machine so that we can get a clue?

Martin

Reply to
Martin Turba

I had a problem a while back with solaris and a firewall. The solaris box was running sendmail and for some reason it wasn't sending any emails that users had posted to it. Come to find out, sendmail was trying to ping the remote mail server before establishing an smtp connection. No echo reply meant no smtp connection. Since the firewall was dropping pings no emails were being sent.

Reply to
Brad

have you tried restarting the network on the box or rebooting it? sounds like an ARP issue.

Dave

Brad wrote:

firewall

Reply to
freddy2t

I tried everything, however still having problem only on solaris box. for some reason it cannot comunicate with PIX at all, all other windows machines are ok. Is there any thing like mtu or other setting I have to change in order to get Solaris talk to PIX? Thanks for any help-Rob

Reply to
Rob

Is the static nat set up properly on the PIX? Also, what is the default gateway of the Solaris box? Make sure the netmasks, etc are good.

Reply to
aunraza

Can you do a netstat -rn and check if the default gateway is correct?

When you do a traceroute to the outside, does it actually see the PIX as the first hop, or any one of the hops? If yes, make sure that you're allowing the Solaris box's subnet to be natted outside.

Reply to
aunraza

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.