PIX 515 Auto Sense

Right now I have this in the config interface ethernet0 auto interface ethernet1 auto interface ethernet2 auto

If I change ehternet1 and 2 to 100 Mbps will I have to reboot the system? Will it interrupt service? Do I need to look further down stream for possible complications?

Reply to
macbot
Loading thread data ...

In article , wrote: :Right now I have this in the config :interface ethernet0 auto :interface ethernet1 auto :interface ethernet2 auto

:If I change ehternet1 and 2 to 100 Mbps will I have to reboot the :system?

No.

:Will it interrupt service? Do I need to look further down :stream for possible complications?

When you switch to 100 Mb, the link will stop sending autonegotiation synchronization pulses. If the remote end is set to autonegotiate, it will interpret the lack of pulses as indicating that it needs to switch to half duplex (and there is a chance that the remote end will decide that it needs to switch to 10 Mbps.)

Either way, there is the possibility that the switch will interpret this as a link-down event, and if spanning tree is turned on for the port, this might trigger a 30 second spanning tree learning delay. There then might be another such 30 second delay when you reconfigure the switch to fix its notion of the port speed and duplex.

These events should be transparent to TCP, other than perhaps a delay for resynchronization. Packets for non-"reliable" transports such as UDP or ICMP might disappear during the retraining: whether there is any recovery or not will depend on the retransmit mechanisms built in at the application layer.

Note: none of this is specific to the PIX: this is just what happens when you change link parameters.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.