PIX 501

Can the PIX 501 a router? I used the Cisco Product Advisor and selected Router as my category, but it did not list the 501.

Here are my requirements: I would like to use the 501 as a router in a small office that has a DSL for internet access. In other words, I want to connect the DSL bridge provided by the telco to the 501 and connect the LAN to the 501.

My rational for using the 501 is because it provides VPN support and network intrucion detection.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Reply to
George
Loading thread data ...

In article , George wrote: :Can the PIX 501 a router? :I used the Cisco Product Advisor and selected Router as my category, but it :did not list the 501.

The PIX is listed under Security.

:Here are my requirements: :I would like to use the 501 as a router in a small office that has a DSL for :internet access. :In other words, I want to connect the DSL bridge provided by the telco to :the 501 and connect the LAN to the 501.

That should work. I have the same sort of set up here.

The one important way in which the PIX is not a router is that you cannot send packets to the PIX, have them processed, and returned through the same [logical] interface. You thus cannot use the PIX to route between subnets that are on the same interface ("router on a stick"), and you also cannot use the PIX 501 to have users connect through a VPN to you and be able to access the Internet from their [their VPN packets would arrive via the Internet and so the PIX would not let them leave through the Internet connection even though the packets have undergone a noticable change along the way.]

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.