PIX 501

I have a client that will be moving locations and they use a PIX 501. In order to change the IP address do I need to upload a whole new config file or can I just make a change to the IP scheme? Waht would be the commands to make a change for the IP address? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
cptkirkh
Loading thread data ...

enable# config terminal no ip address outside ip address outside NEWIP NEWNETMASK

write memory clear xlate

The above is sufficient for a properly configured PIX 501 running PIX 6.2 or PIX 6.3. If it happens to be running PIX 6.1, then it should be upgraded -- but besides the upgrade matter, in PIX 6.1 you also need to check the 'access-list' and 'static' and 'global' commands in case they mention the old outside IP. This is not necessary in a properly configured PIX 6.2 or PIX 6.3 system: in 6.2 and 6.3 it is a configuration bug to refer to the interface address by number in the rest of the configuration (the word 'interface' or 'interface outside' would get used instead.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I'm in a similar soup :) Could you please drop a hint *how* to upgrade? I mean we go to the links you have posted earlier, and then what? We download the upgrades to a local PC? How do we actually install on the pix?

Thanks & Regards

Reply to
soup_or_power

The upgrade process is fairly well documented. See

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.