OS differences

I have a laptop with Vista 64 bit. I plan to get a router for my old 32 bit XP Home machine. Will I be able to access the old peripherals on the XP Home machine using a router for my laptop? Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson

Reply to
Seamus J. Wilson
Loading thread data ...

Routers/network are absolutely transparent to operating systems. Modern operating systems all use TCP/IP standards, and therefore as long as you have properly configured whatever sharing application you like (folder shares, ftp, whatever), the network will support the activities as it is operating system agnostic. Routers have nothing to do with 32 vs. 64 bit designators, as those variations (x32 vs. x64) only impact how applications utilize the processors on the given hardware platform (i.e. desktop/server). Think of it like the post office. How you choose to pass notes within rooms/people in your house has nothing to do with how you pass messages using the postal service. And all members in your house generally know how to address an envelope and use a stamp (the equivalent of tcp/ip). Hope this helps.

Reply to
Trendkill

Routers/network are absolutely transparent to operating systems. Modern operating systems all use TCP/IP standards, and therefore as long as you have properly configured whatever sharing application you like (folder shares, ftp, whatever), the network will support the activities as it is operating system agnostic. Routers have nothing to do with 32 vs. 64 bit designators, as those variations (x32 vs. x64) only impact how applications utilize the processors on the given hardware platform (i.e. desktop/server). Think of it like the post office. How you choose to pass notes within rooms/people in your house has nothing to do with how you pass messages using the postal service. And all members in your house generally know how to address an envelope and use a stamp (the equivalent of tcp/ip). Hope this helps.

Reply to
Seamus J. Wilson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.