Ordering and upgrading IOS Software

Hi folks,

can someone please tell me the deal about buying cisco IOS software? I have a 1720 router with a module in it which isn't supported by the current IOS (12.0). So I need to upgrade this device to a later version. The device is nearly 5 years old and isn't covered by smartnet.

I have 2 different suppliers telling me 2 different things.

supplier 1...

tells me I can get 12.4 on CD, he then told me that his distributer never asked him which router it was for. Which then begs the question...Can I use this software on any other router (I have a couple which are only 12.2), he said he didn't know.

supplier 2...

tells me that when he orders the IOS he needs to know what router I have, which then makes me think I can't use it for any other cisco device.

which one is correct??? or can both be correct???

rgds Dave

Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

This one is correct. For example, you cannot run an 1720 IOS image on an 1841.

Looks like you need to do business with the second company. The first one doesn't know what they are talking about....and if your router model is so old you can't even buy Smartnet for it anymore it's doubtful there's a 12.4 release for it.

Good luck...

Reply to
gray.wizard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.