ordering documentation under SMARTnet contract

Hi Dan,

You may wish to investigate Cisco's End-of-Sale (EOS) Announcement for Cisco 2500.

End of HW Support May 31, 2003

End of SW Support May 31, 2004

Product Obsolescence/End of TAC/CA Support and RMAs June 1, 2006

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts

1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Website:
formatting link
Reply to
BradReeseCom
Loading thread data ...

Cisco's product upgrade tool no longer allows me to order documentation under my SMARTnet contract. Cisco's response is that I should purchase documentation (in particular the DVD since there appear to be no paper manuals for recent IOS releases) through the normal online store. The upgrade tool no longer offers 2500 boot ROM upgrades either. Having just renewed my service contract for three years I'm a little annoyed. :( Am I missing something?

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

In article , snipped-for-privacy@BradReese.Com (BradReeseCom) writes: | Hi Dan, | | You may wish to investigate Cisco's End-of-Sale (EOS) Announcement for | Cisco 2500. | | End of HW Support | May 31, 2003 | | End of SW Support | May 31, 2004 | | Product Obsolescence/End of TAC/CA Support and RMAs | June 1, 2006 | |

formatting link
I'm not clear on how this relates to the (lack of) ability to order the documentation DVD. For that matter, I'm not sure how it relates to the lack of boot ROMs since the notice specifically says it does not apply to the 2501. I wouldn't think Cisco should be accepting (actually soliciting--they called several times) SMARTnet contract renewal if they don't intend to provide the contracted services...

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Dan,

End of hardware support for the Cisco 2501 and 2514 models: April 30, 2004

End of software support for the Cisco 2501 and 2514 models: April 30, 2005

formatting link
Brad BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Worldwide
formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom

In article , snipped-for-privacy@BradReese.Com (BradReeseCom) writes: | Dan, | | End of hardware support for the Cisco 2501 and 2514 models: | April 30, 2004 | | End of software support for the Cisco 2501 and 2514 models: | April 30, 2005 | |

formatting link
So are you saying that when a product hits one of those end dates Cisco disables the ability to order documentation under the corresponding SMARTnet contract (while continuing to charge for support)?

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

:| End of software support for the Cisco 2501 and 2514 models: :| April 30, 2005

:So are you saying that when a product hits one of those end dates Cisco :disables the ability to order documentation under the corresponding :SMARTnet contract (while continuing to charge for support)?

Cisco usually wouldn't have allowed you to buy SmartNet extending past the End Of Software Support date.

If I recall correctly, you indicated that you recently renewed for 3 years. If so, and if you made the vendor aware that it was for the 2501, you can probably get a refund, since they weren't supposed to sell support that extends past the deadline.

If, though, you just bought a PKG* part and didn't tell the vendor what it was for, then you probably don't have any recourse for a refund. Cisco would, though, in such a case usually allow you to substitute a different device of the same class into the contract.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes: | In article , Dan Lanciani wrote: | :In article , snipped-for-privacy@BradReese.Com (BradReeseCom) writes: | | :| End of software support for the Cisco 2501 and 2514 models: | :| April 30, 2005 | | :So are you saying that when a product hits one of those end dates Cisco | :disables the ability to order documentation under the corresponding | :SMARTnet contract (while continuing to charge for support)? | | Cisco usually wouldn't have allowed you to buy SmartNet extending | past the End Of Software Support date.

Interesting. They certainly don't seem to have made that check for me.

| If I recall correctly, you indicated that you recently renewed | for 3 years.

Correct. My renewal date was 4/30/2005. I renewed for 3 years. [I note the coincidence...]

| If so, and if you made the vendor aware that it was | for the 2501, you can probably get a refund, since they weren't | supposed to sell support that extends past the deadline.

Ok, first of all it is a 2503. I mentioned the 2501 only because it uses the same boot ROM. So if what you are saying is correct it appears that Cisco should not have let me renew *last* time let alone this time.

I'm not sure what you mean about making the vendor aware. I have had this contract for 10+ years and I deal directly with Cisco. Each time the renewal date approaches Cisco sends me a letter and then starts calling. Depending on the operational state of their service center tool (it has had its ups and downs over the years that it has existed) I then either receive a written quote or an online version. The quote includes the model number and serial number of my router. I can't see any possible way that they could not be aware of the model since they are generating the quotes. This time the quote for 3 years was ~$900. I generated an online purchase order and Cisco then invoiced me directly.

Given that I appear to be paying for support that does not exist the notion of a refund is certainly appealing. But I'm also still interested in the original issue. Has Cisco really set things up to prevent documentation (and other "upgrade") orders under a contract because one of the end-of-support dates has passed? Doing that while still soliciting for renewal of the contract seems questionable at best.

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

In article , Dan Lanciani wrote: :But I'm also still interested in the :original issue. Has Cisco really set things up to prevent documentation (and :other "upgrade") orders under a contract because one of the end-of-support :dates has passed?

I don't know.

I would suggest locating a copy of the documentation on eBay.

Although in theory it would be a violation of the license agreement in the USA, with your having a support contract and with Cisco not having a way to allow you to order the document, I don't imagine that anyone would get too upset.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.