VLAN Question.. STUMPED!

Hey everyone, I searched through the group to see if this had already been answered.. but I seem to be hard pressed to find any real answers. Hopefully someone here can clarify this for me.

I've been practicing some of the lab exercises.. and I've come across an issue that I'm not sure if it's me making a mistake, or if it's a problem with the boson simulator.

Here's the scenario.

I have 2 2950 switches; SWITCH_ONE and SWITCH_TWO for reference.

I have a crossover cable from fe0/12 on SWITCH_ONE to fe0/12 on SWITCH_TWO for a trunk link. I have the trunk working. `sh vtp status` shows it up and functioning fine. SWITCH_ONE is the server, SWITCH_TWO is the client. (I've also tried this with one as server and one transparent, with both transparent, and with both servers)

On SWITCH_ONE I've setup ports fe0/1 - fe0/5 as VLAN 30, and ports fe0/6 - fe0/10 as VLAN 50. When I do `sh vlan 30` it shows the appropriate ports, and same for vlan 50. However, whenever I go to SWITCH_TWO it shows the same ports active in those vlans. If I were to add a machine to port fe0/3 on SWITCH_TWO to VLAN 50, it will also add port fe0/3 on SWITCH_ONE into vlan 50, instead of leaving it in vlan

1. Is this normal, or is this a glitch in the simulation software? I can't imagine that's the way it's supposed to work, but maybe it is, or maybe I have something configured wrong.

I've been focusing on this issue for a day now trying to figure it out.. but apparenlty I'm missing something or that dang boson simulator is out to get me. Please advise! Jim

Reply to
Jimsu
Loading thread data ...

That's a glitch. Assigning a port on swith 2 to VLAN shouldn't change any port settings on switch 1.

Steve

formatting link

Reply to
Steve

Well, it doesn't bring the interface up, it just shows it added to the vlans. Just to give you an idea, here's some output.

switch_ONE#sh vlan 150

VLAN Name Status Ports

---- -------------------------------- ---------

-------------------------------

150 inside_machines active Fa0/1, Fa0/10

switch_TWO#sh vlan 150

VLAN Name Status Ports

150 inside_machines active Fa0/1, Fa0/10

switch_ONE#conf t switch_ONE(config)#int fa0/7 switch_ONE(config-if)#switchport access vlan 150 switch_ONE(config-if)#end switch_ONE#sh vlan 150

VLAN Name Status Ports

150 inside_machines active Fa0/1, Fa0/7, Fa0/10

and then if I get on switch two, without doing anything except showing the vlan, I get:

switch_TWO#sh vlan 150

VLAN Name Status Ports

150 inside_machines active Fa0/1, Fa0/7, Fa0/10

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Jimsu

Nope, that's not right. Must be a software bug.

Steve

formatting link

Reply to
Steve

If you're using Netsim for CCNP it's probably a bug. I haven't had that particular error but I've had similar "am I stupid or what" type errors just like that. That's NOT the way it's supposed to work.

Reply to
Dedan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.