multiple IOS

I have a 7206, and a question. If I have the available ram, and I wish to upgrade my IOS. Could I store the old IOS on the flash and hold it there after I upgrade so if there is a problem I could restore my old IOS?

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Mr. Leo Gijssel, CCNP, CCDP

Email: lgijssel *at* neon-networking.nl

Suggests:

Assuming that your router meets the RAM memory requirements for your new release, use a different flash card for the new image.

You can then always use your current one as a fallback when the upgrade fails.

When you follow the directions in this url, upgrading should be no problem:

formatting link
and if all else fails this url describes recovery procedures:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Jobs
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Yes. If there is room on the flash for your particular images.

7200 I think will have slots for pcmcia/Compact flash cards.

On the higher end platforms and I think on newer platforms you can have multiple files in flash.

choose which one to boot with

boot system flash xxxx:/filename.bin

xxxx varies by platform and whether you have flash cards or not.

On a critical system you should consider carefully whether you are qualified and experienced to do this or not.

You can always recover but you need to have the correct tools in place.

Reply to
anybody43

Yes. If there is room on the flash for your particular images.

7200 I think will have slots for pcmcia/Compact flash cards.

On the higher end platforms and I think on newer platforms you can have multiple files in flash.

choose which one to boot with

boot system flash xxxx:/filename.bin

xxxx varies by platform and whether you have flash cards or not.

On a critical system you should consider carefully whether you are qualified and experienced to do this or not.

You can always recover but you need to have the correct tools in place.

Reply to
anybody43

I had a nice long reply ready to go but apparently it was lost when Mozilla crashed or something.

The gist of it was that yes you can have more than one IOS imagine in flash. The other guys told you how. One thing that I will also tell you is that you need to update your boot image at the same time. This resides in bootflash: . For example, from one of our 2 7206VXRs:

7206-1#dir bootflash: Directory of bootflash:/ 1 -rw- 6101680 Sep 16 2003 02:23:50 -05:00 c7200-kboot-mz.122-15.B.bin 15990784 bytes total (9888976 bytes free)

You can download the boot image from the same IOS download pages you get your IOS images from. After selecting the 7200 platform and the code you want to run (I prefer the T train personally), chose the BOOT IMAGE featureset.

As always there are specific instructions available on Cisco's site. Don't forget to read the release notes. I liked the recommendation on keeping a separate physical ATA flash module handy. That's a good idea. Don't forget to copy your config to that flash card as well.

J
Reply to
J

Greetings,

If I need to "trial" an IOS and - 1. Don't have the flash to store both, 2. Don't wish to destroy the current flash image, I use the "Boot IOS from TFTP server" facility. Its worked fine for me...

I also use a default boot from flash if TFTP does not work...

Cheers......................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.