Extended VLAN(s) not allowed in current VTP mode

goal here is to add a couple of extended vlans (in 2000-3000) range to a client switch. these vlans should not be broadcast across the domain. is it possible to add to a client switch?

I've actually tried adding to the server switch as well and get the same error.

sh run .... spanning-tree extend system-id .... sh vtp stat ..... VTP Version : 2 Configuration Revision : 18 Maximum VLANs supported locally : 255 Number of existing VLANs : 12 VTP Operating Mode : Client (also tried the server switch for this domain) VTP Domain Name : * VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled VTP V2 Mode : Enabled VTP Traps Generation : Disabled MD5 digest : 0xE2 0xCF 0x5B 0x2B 0x3A 0xD5 0x3E

0x2D Configuration last modified by 172.22.0.211 at 8-21-93 01:15:32 .... sfo2-sw-04(config)#vlan 2542 sfo2-sw-04(config-vlan)#name * sfo2-sw-04(config-vlan)#end % Failed to create VLANs 2542 Extended VLAN(s) not allowed in current VTP mode. %Failed to commit extended VLAN(s) changes.
Reply to
linguafr
Loading thread data ...

Have you tried doing it in transparent mode?

Doan

Reply to
Doan

I want this switch to be in client mode in general to pick up other vlan changes in the domain. can i put it in transparent temporarily to add these vlans then move it back to client without those vlans going away?

Reply to
linguafr

Yes, but you will lose if the extended-vlans if the switch reboots.

formatting link
Doan

Reply to
Doan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.