Looking for something similar to Cisco 3000 series

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a router that functions similar to a Cisco 3000 series. The key feature we're looking for is the ability have multiple remote locations have the same subnet and have the hub router translate networks with conflicting subnets into different networks.

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
Ken
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I have been working with cisco kit on and off for nearly 10 years and have no idea what a 3000 series might be.

I can however offer the view that, firstly, your architecture seems somewhat flawed. You need to plan to fix the addressing issues. However, any cisco router will provide NAT which is useful for internet access and as a temporary workaround until addresses can be migrated to a reasonable addressing scheme.

Fixing the addressing is way, way easier than troubleshooting weird NAT problems.

The immediately above applies exponentially if you feel it necessary to ask for advice here.

If you have a specific router model in mind please specify it.

Best of fortune,

Me.

Reply to
Bod43

Are you referring to the Cisco 3000 series of routers, or the Cisco VPN 3000 series of VPN servers?

Note to on-lookers: the 3000 series router was introduced in 1992, with model numbers such as the 3011. It really did exist ;-) But it's been out of production for sufficiently long that it is very seldom mentioned anymore.

Would those multiple sites need to talk to each other, or only to the hub? You might be interested in the DMVPN (Dynamic Multipoint VPN) feature.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hmm, not sure there was a 3011 part. The ethernet model was the 3102, and the token ring was 3202 (corresponding with the 2102 and 2202 products).

I've got a 3102 and a 2102 on the shelf here.

"Available in 3Q 1993.. priced starting at $3195 for the Cisco 2000.."

formatting link

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Looks like the 3011 was the WAN access router module portion, not a router model in itself.

Slightly earlier: October 1992 availability for the 3000 series

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.