Cisco Hardware Question

Hello,

We're looking for a single Cisco device that can support multiple functions.

The functions I'm thinking of are:

Gateway (basic router functions) VPN Server (IPSec) Firewall Web Proxy Server VoIP Media Gateway (Similar to Audiocodes MP-112) Remote admin (this is probably default with Cisco) VLAN support

Anyone know of a single Cisco device capable of all these functions?

Thanks!

Reply to
Tom
Loading thread data ...

All of these features are supported in IOS with the exception of Web Proxy, IOS doesn't do that. You need a router that supports VoIP to act as a voice PSTN gateway, because this requires codecs and the appropriate interface hardware. The selection of the router platform is dependent on many different factors such as how many and types of interfaces you need to support, and the expected packets to processed.

Reply to
Thrill5

Thanks Thrill5...we're looking for an off the shelf device that might be able to do it all. We currently use a combo of devices such as Cisco 1812, 2600 switch and a couple of Linux boxes. Maybe we could put some kind of Cisco device and Linux proxy in place to handle the load. The ports would be fairly low and we're going over a VSAT link, so latency is pretty poor. Surprisingly the current setup works pretty good, even with latency, however it's difficult to configure because of all the various parts we have in our rack.

Anyway...thanks again.

Reply to
Tom

Of course you could do all of it with a single Linux box (except probably the switch). But you need to study and experiment a lot to get everything working. In the past I have read about a Cisco web proxy module that was in fact a Linux box in a network module, but it seems it has been discontinued.

Reply to
Rob

~ All of these features are supported in IOS with the exception of Web Proxy, ~ IOS doesn't do that.

Check out "ip auth-proxy". You do need a RADIUS server for this.

formatting link

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Hi Tom,

You could always use WCCP to redirect your web traffic to the proxy (config guide :

formatting link
so all you'll be left with on that list is "VoIP Media Gateway (Similar to Audiocodes MP-112)", which I'm pretty sure you should be able to get something similar on a 3800 series (multi services gateway).

Feel free to give me a shout if you're stuck configuring WCCP -- it can be awkward.

/Ruairi

Reply to
Ruairi Carroll

An auth-proxy and web proxy are two very different things. The auth-proxy feature is used to block http traffic until they have been authenticated, it does nothing more. A web proxy is a device that can require authorization (like auth-proxy does) and filter on URL, content, scan for viruses, and some even can cache content.

formatting link

Reply to
Thrill5

Basically requires a web proxy...so need to block specific sites/ traffic and have a way to prevent video/audio streaming.

Thanks for the comments!

Reply to
Tom

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.