Pull Configs for a series of Switches with TFTP

Hello,

I have inherited a problem or potential problem. We have not been very good at backing up our switch configurations. We have a number of cisco switches throughout three large offices. I would like to backup the configurations in a central location so if a switch fails, I can push the configuration back out with minimal downtime.

What I would like to do is copy the running configuration to the startup config, then pull the config to a central server.

Is there a way to do this easily? I would like to be able to pass in a series of IP addresses for the switches (four different subnets and in three different physical locations).

Thanks.

Kevin

Reply to
KDawg44
Loading thread data ...

Write an "expect" script. I regularly use that for similar things.

formatting link

Reply to
Rob

Thank you very much! That is perfect! I have now written a python script that uses pexpect (python's expect) that takes a file of the switches, goes out, does a write mem, then is set to TFTP it to the server with the switch name & date.

Now, and perhaps this isn't the best place to ask this but I prefer the opinions here over a Windows board, what is the best TFTP to set up on a Windows 2003 server?

Thanks again!

Kevin

Reply to
KDawg44

KDawg44 schrieb:

Have a look at rancid - it stores the configs using CVS, so you may even restor a config from e few months ago.

Klaus

Reply to
klaus zerwes

I have used tftpd32

formatting link
for decades, it seems like. Other than feature creep no problems at all. I would consider an older version to avoid having to worry about dhcp server, bootp server etc.

Maybe version 2.2?

formatting link
This may of course cause other issues - not sure.

You can turn off the bits you don't want. It is very small and did not previously require installation. No idea about the latest Open Source versions - hopefully all you need still is the .exe.

Reply to
bod43

yep. rancid is very good. using it with 3745, 3750, 26xx, 28xx, 72xx, 73xx, pix and so on every cisco devices; also using it with juniper and huawei

• cvs-web cgi very perfect
Reply to
Alexander Romanov

My prefered TFTP utility for Windows platforms is 3cdaemon from 3com -

formatting link
It includes TFTP, FTP & SYSLOG Clients and Servers so its quite usable and I have it permanently running on my laptop. It also supports TFTP transfers larger than 16MB, something that others frequently do not. An excellent utility.

Cheers.............................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.